Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

are you very happy? probably not

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

are you very happy? probably not

Postby figlfdev » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 am

usually when you find something on the internet (or whatever,) its out of context or not entirely true, or something. (there you go, i just made that up.)

so when you find a statistic that says for the past 30-40 years when theyve asked people if theyre "very happy," only 33 percent-- and always about 33 percent-- have said yes.

the rest of us can only hope to compete with such happiness. and this is the context in which i read the statistic-- that for all our efforts to "find happiness," the percentage of happy people has stayed more or less constant. pretty interesting if its true.

but hey-- thats one thing to be happy about. try your *** off, or dont, youll probably be about as happy either way. or something. in my life, too many people want me to try to be more happy, or to blame me for why im not as wonderfully happy as they think i should be. the good news is, now i can tell them to go suck an egg-- for science!

but i should probably look for a link of some kind... here, this ones got "science" in the url, and even goes against part of what im saying-- enjoy!
figlfdev

Re: are you very happy? probably not

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:33 pm

What is happiness? That is the question. I am content and would not be anywhere else than where I am. No existential angst. Nothing much nibbling on the edges of consciousness. Just here and now moment to moment. I'm in the (at most) 1% that is at peace with the process of 'life'.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby fsmithred » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:01 pm

If you look at brain activity in the parts of the brain that deal with emotions, happiness is associated with a relative lack of activity. NPR said so.

I've also spent more than a couple hours doing practices to get the monkey to shut up, and I think the scientists are on to something.
fsmithred

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Exactly. Equanimity is a very good thing (but not easy to achieve).
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Return to General Nonsense