Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Can I switch to 32 bit

Ask your questions here.

Can I switch to 32 bit

Postby Mark9 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:14 pm

I have completed several remasters of Debian 8 Mate. "Final" version is over 3.2 Gb. Built on a 64 bit dual core laptop.

I have several 32 bit computers and people still bring 32 bit computers to me for repairs.

I was about to build up and remaster another set up for 32 bit computers, when I had a thought.

Can I install the 32 bit kernel on my existing setup on my laptop. Create another remaster, burn a DVD, and have it boot up live and be installable on 32 bit computers?
Mark9

Re: Can I switch to 32 bit

Postby fsmithred » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:21 pm

No, that won't work. A lot of other stuff that's installed was compiled for 64-bit. If you figure out a way to make both 32 and 64 with only one installation, let me know. Having to build two identical installs seems to be more difficult than you might imagine.
fsmithred

Postby Mark9 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:31 pm

So no choice then. Use one of my 32 bit computers and make another remaster as close to the same as my 64 bit setup. Should go quicker though from the practice.
Mark9

Postby fsmithred » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:38 pm

You don't have to use the 32-bit computer. You can install a 32-bit OS on the 64-bit computer, or you could do it inside virtualbox on the 64.
fsmithred

Postby Mark9 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Great info. I actually did know that I can use a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit computer. I have not used virtualbox.

I think though, I will do the build on a spare 32 bit computer, since I have one setup already. This way I can keep using my newish 64 bit laptop, fully setup already, while doing the work/setup on another computer. Also I think it will help to look at the 64 bit remaster now and then to copy the setup more easily.

Thanks again fsmithred.
Mark9

Return to Help