Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Discourse

Share your ideas and give feedback about the board.

Discourse

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Any consideration made to using Discourse similar to Devuan? In my experience it's far superior to phpBB and the like...the wiki functionality alone is worth it in my opinion. It looks like someone might be paying about $5 a month to remove ads on this forum which could be put toward a Digital Ocean droplet. If not, maybe we could all contribute to a project fund and have a proper domain name and self-hosted tools. I'd be happy to help with any of this.
Mike

Re: Discourse

Postby fsmithred » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:56 pm

I'm not aware of anyone paying for this forum. NoScript handles the ads just fine. If you were to write a howto for using Devuan Discourse, I'd read it, and then maybe I could use DD without wanting to shoot myself. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment.
fsmithred

Postby golinux » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:12 pm

Have to disagree with you about Discourse Mike. There is a reason that the Devuan forum gets so little traffic. It is a bloated java script pig. And all the cutsie icons and badges . . . ridiculous. The road that Mozilla is going down doesn't inspire confidence . . .
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby figlfdev » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:36 pm

fsmithred wrote:If you were to write a howto for using Devuan Discourse, I'd read it, and then maybe I could use DD without wanting to shoot myself.

not me. if you give me a gun and one bullet, and make me use discourse for an hour, that will be the last hour im around. fsr knows im not joking. i already live in a world where that piece of crap exists in the state its in-- thats bad enough without having to use it. when i got tired of windows i spent a DECADE migrating to gnu/linux, and when debian sh** the bed i spent a year migrating to devuan after trying bsd (though mostly i just used devuan for a year and gradually updated other machines.)

now ask me whether id rather use discourse or windows. its moot, i wouldnt stay around for either one. if you want me to use discourse, you have to get me smoking crack first-- on a daily basis. probably the same kind that everyone else that uses that thing is smoking too, not just that run of the mill stuff.

id rather use clippy to write word documents. he was an annoying little sh** but he was 100x faster and only half as annoying. you think im exaggerating? you dont know me then. let me put it this way though: the primary reason to use discourse is it has a web interface. and the primary justification for choosing it is it has an email interface. thats poetic f***ing reasoning-- its not good enough for the one thing its actually needed for.

that decision has gotta be part of the reason im using refracta instead of devuan. i wouldnt want to use a distro that says "this is our forum. promote a distro that sends people to THIS thing," if that thing is talk.devuan.org. i dont hate people that much. every time ive tried using that site, ive wanted to hunt down the author and slap him. which of course i wouldnt ever really do. lennart is safe too, more likely id buy that w***er a beer because debiand brought me to a better distro overall.
figlfdev

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:09 pm

I guess this is the wrong crowd to mention Discourse...I should have known better. lol

fsmithred wrote:If you were to write a howto for using Devuan Discourse

Considering people feel so strongly against Discourse it would probably be a fruitless task to make documentation so I'll pass. But thank you for keeping an open mind.

golinux wrote:Have to disagree with you about Discourse Mike. There is a reason that the Devuan forum gets so little traffic. It is a bloated java script pig. And all the cutsie icons and badges . . . ridiculous. The road that Mozilla is going down doesn't inspire confidence . . .

No worries, I appreciate your opinions even if they don't align with my own. I'm not a big fan of JS either but if usesd appropriately it does improve usability and streamline tasks. It just happened to be what the browser makers went with but it could have easily been Lua, Python, etc. and people would hate on it just the same. :-)

figlfdev wrote:if you give me a gun and one bullet, and make me use discourse for an hour, that will be the last hour im around.

Easy there killer. No one is trying to pull the carpet from under you. I was simply looking for feedback and considering what I have seen so far, it's probably not the best solution for this crowd which is fine. I'm perfectly ok with people not liking something that I personally enjoy. Maybe it's an age difference or difference in past experiences, but clearly I see things differently. Considering everyone's viewpoint, why don't we just use a mailing list and IRC to communicate?
Mike

Postby figlfdev » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Mike wrote:it could have easily been Lua, Python, etc. and people would hate on it just the same. :-)

python might be too slow for that or not-- it depends on the framework more than the language. but youre right that its always something, eh?

No one is trying to pull the carpet from under you. I was simply looking for feedback and considering what I have seen so far, it's probably not the best solution for this crowd which is fine. I'm perfectly ok with people not liking something that I personally enjoy. Maybe it's an age difference or difference in past experiences

oh, i dont feel threatened. not here, anyway; for the devuan community im disappointed-- its either that awful site or that stupid awful chat... thing...

the main gripe is that im one of the lucky users who finds themselves waiting almost half a minute for a page to load. half. a. minute. phpbb on 56k dialup SCREAMS past that (i have highspeed.) now if i get a faster machine running (and i can) i can get it down to 5-10 seconds, which is still atrocious. but this machine im typing on (fast enough for 90% of what i do online) will never run discourse properly-- not even as a visitor. we can still disagree-- im accustomed to using sites where pages actually load; its a thing with me.
figlfdev

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Page load time is valid concern and I'm in agreement with you there. I've administered FluxBB before and it was a pleasure to use as well...and very fast.
Last edited by Mike on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Postby nadir » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:26 pm

On a different note:
back then, when Mean Dean was the main dude of refracta, he changed forum software very often (feels like he did it twice a day).
Users were always only a few.
This forum staid (probably for only one reason: Dean was not really in charge .... ).

Being without any costs seems to make sense, as long there are only a handful of users.

Else i am not against anything (but sure always got hard times trying something new. old dogs, new tricks and all ... ).
I'd sure care more for something decentralized though.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby fsmithred » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:32 pm

nadir wrote:I'd sure care more for something decentralized though.

You mean like a community wiki? Or like an old-style newsgroup?
fsmithred

Postby nadir » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Well, if i only could put it in plain words.
The old model is that somewhere is a server, centralized.
The new model would be that the whole thing is stored distributed, that is by the users.
Might well be that newsgroup were also like that, i don't really know them.
I think retroshare would be close to it. But there sure are better options. Since systemd i haven't thought about such problems ...
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Next

Return to Forum proposals