Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

forum administration

Share your ideas and give feedback about the board.

Re: forum administration

Postby nadir » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 am

That is, my last post, is:
make a proposal how to do it.
Instead of telling me i would ask the wrong way.

Just like that?

Good Bye.

like what would you prefer?
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby mharrison » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 am

I honestly do not have a preference. I have only known about refracta for around a month now, so I don't know the history, I don't know anything at all. As for this forum. Since you and fsmithred are the main guys, I think you should do as you see fit. It is your baby and you need to care for it. I'm not offended if you want to remove my moderator status....****, I didn't even know I had it.
mharrison

Postby nadir » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:57 am

mharrison wrote:Since you and fsmithred are the main guys, I think you should do as you see fit. It is your baby and you need to care for it.

Not exactly, at least not me.
I told Dean that i thought a forum was better than a mailing list.
For me it is more easy to deal with forums, than with mailing lists.
He answered something like: "much work, you do it...".
That is the reason of the board, not that someone is a main guy or so.
Just a place where info is stored (as little as it might be, but you (= i) don't need to search for it)

I could and would link to the message board, where Dean and i talked about it, but like so many things it is gone.

--------------------------
Most of us spoke in IRC.
I will leave as is for a few days, if no better suggestions come, do like i said in the OP.

On another note:
Here are no rules, no hidden areas, no deleting of threads or posts, no regulation. There is _no moderation.
If the board will fail by that, it will fail.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby mharrison » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:06 pm

[quote="nadir"]
Most of us spoke in IRC.
I will leave as is for a few days, if no better suggestions come, do like i said in the OP.

On another note:
Here are no rules, no hidden areas, no deleting of threads or posts, no regulation. There is _no moderation.
If the board will fail by that, it will fail.

I'll ask the question about what traveler mentioned then. With no moderation, no deleting of threads or posts, are we just going to sit by and let the board fail by an outside power when the spam bots eventually make their way here and start flooding the board with spam? Not trying to be an *** but I like the idea behind this project, and a forum is a good collaboration tool, so why not do our best to keep it going.
mharrison

Postby nadir » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm

spam is spam.
a user is a user.
there is no need to make it more complicated than it is.
(and build rules upon that, and on things which might or might not happen).

I know a board with nearly no input, but lots of rules for the reason that "what was if..."

We, with a handful of people and no noise, we (!) can decide things when things happen.
not before.
Last edited by nadir on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby mharrison » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 pm

nadir wrote:spam is spam.
a user is a user.
there is no need to make it more complicated than it is.
(and build rules upon that, and on things which might or might not happen).

I know a board with nearly no input, but lots of rules for the reason that "what was if..."

We, with a handful of people and no noise, can decide things when things happen.
not before.

I'm not disagreeing with your logic, only your wording. Taking care of spam is, in fact, a form of moderation. Perhaps you should say no user moderation. I'm OCD enough that I nitpick wording so you will have to forgive me for that one.
mharrison

Postby nadir » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:15 pm

in general i like nitpicking, and it usually is of help too. Same here.
Sure spam will be deleted.
And if this board will have got more than just a few users, we must decide something.
I only tried to explain the question if we need moderators/Admins at all
(and to me right now it does not look that way)

This thread is still alive, and nothing is decided.
I am glad for any ideas what and how to do it
(perhaps jheaton can offer us another "good bye". In Germany we say: of all good things there are three.)
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby EvilDairyProduct » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Like we talked about on IRC, we don't need admins/mods except for if/when the spambots rear their ugly heads. I also don't care about making another experiment in forum government and am perfectly happy to live under a benevolent dictatorship on this board. There are 11 members! So... This discussion is a bit on the silly side to begin with. fsmithred doesn't want to screw with the admin crap and since he is the main code monkey I'd rather see him focus on that. That leaves the decisions up to you, Nadir, as far as I'm concerned. If you want someone to help, ask. If you want someone else to deal with the boring admin crap, ask.
Gin makes a man mean!
EvilDairyProduct

Postby nadir » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 pm

EvilDairyProduct wrote:Like we talked about on IRC, we don't need admins/mods except for if/when the spambots rear their ugly heads. I also don't care about making another experiment in forum government and am perfectly happy to live under a benevolent dictatorship on this board. There are 11 members! So... This discussion is a bit on the silly side to begin with. fsmithred doesn't want to screw with the admin crap and since he is the main code monkey I'd rather see him focus on that. That leaves the decisions up to you, Nadir, as far as I'm concerned. If you want someone to help, ask. If you want someone else to deal with the boring admin crap, ask.

Sounds good to me.
Though i am in the "just-do-it"-mode i will leave it like is for a few days.
Dean already agreed (Somewhere on this board), but it would be good to hear what he thinks.
Two of the eleven are me, so it is worse than you assume.

What is contradictory to what i said above:
With so much boards already gone, the little refracta world will not fall apart in case another board will go, and perhaps we got better ideas then.

I do the backups, so at least the pure text will stay.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby jheaton5 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:58 am

nadir wrote:
jheaton5 wrote:Just like that?

Good Bye.

Once again:
What is the problem with asking how to go on?
Obviously we can't add one admin after the other,
obviously we don't need much admins anyway.

Asking seems to be a big problem.

Tell me someon how he would liked to be asked.
Or ask someone else.
I don't care.

You started this thread the same day you removed your membership at duf. When I originally read your post, it did not read to me like a question. It read like a unilateral decision. It's your forum. Do what you want with it. Your plans, however made an abrupt change which I perceived was based on anger and a desire to distance yourself from your friends. I'll pop in here from time to time to see what's going on.
jheaton5

PreviousNext

Return to Forum proposals