Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

[VENT]: halt, and I'll kill your battery!

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

[VENT]: halt, and I'll kill your battery!

Postby fsmithred » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Code: Select all
halt

Four letters. A simple command. I've been using it for 16 years. Yes, I've been told that the proper way is to use 'shutdown -h now' but someone in the past thought it would be easier to just type 'halt' and made it so. It works. Until now. I suppose it needed to be changed because it was old and needed to be changed.

Normally, I unplug the laptop when I turn it off. I did that last night after shutting down, no, HALTING on my brand new debian jessie install. I'm glad that I noticed that lights were still on. I reopened the laptop, and it was sitting there with a message on the screen, "System halted." Thanks for telling me. !*%*&$!~)(#*$!)(
fsmithred

Re: [VENT]: halt, and I'll kill your battery!

Postby miyolinux » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:59 pm

:o :lol:
miyolinux

Re: [VENT]: halt, and I'll kill your battery!

Postby FOSSuser » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:07 am

On some of the commands you need the -p to power off your machine. :)
FOSSuser

Return to General Nonsense