Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Help please - Live Mount Error - Refractasnapshot.

Ask your questions here.

Help please - Live Mount Error - Refractasnapshot.

Postby raymerjacque » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:09 am

I am using Debian Jessie, and with the default 3.16 kernel refractasnapshot works fine.

But if i upgrade to any other kernel i get errors, not with compiling, it compiles fine. but when booting off the live DvD or USB i get errors on live boot.

I have tried updating to kernel 4.8 in jessie backports, i also tried updating to kernel 4.9 and both give the same error, i also tried on multiple machines, same thing. I also tried making UB with both rufus and unetbootin, same thing.

the errors i get are the fllowing :

Code: Select all
Mount: mounting /dev/sdb1 on live/medium failed : invalid argument
FAT-fs (sdb1): IO charset ascii not found

and then much further down it says :

Code: Select all
/bin/sh: cant access tty: job control turned off
(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live filesystem
modprobe: module ehci-orion not found in modules.dep

Anyone here that has any idea why i get these errors ? I am using the latest refractasnapshot available on sourceforge
raymerjacque

Re: Help please - Live Mount Error - Refractasnapshot.

Postby dzz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:59 am

refracta-snapshot-won-t-boot-solved-t551.html

Post back when you checked what was covered there and (hopefully) solved it.
dzz

Postby raymerjacque » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Ive been struggling a week already, was about to do serious damage to my computer, so thank you :D
raymerjacque

Postby golinux » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:08 pm

I never could get the 4.2 kernel to boot in a refractasnapshot. I downgraded to current stable kernel.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby raymerjacque » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:24 pm

kernel 4.8 is currently in jessie backports, im busy making a snapshot now, so lets see how it goes, ill post my results.
raymerjacque

Postby raymerjacque » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:25 pm

no success, still same error, i will continue to try, atleast now i have some direction of what to mess with till i get it working. ill post more updates if i have any.
raymerjacque

Postby dzz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Hard disk space is short here, can't use refracta snapshot on my running system.

I do however have a "test" chroot, with a directory structure the same as refractasnapshot uses. In the chroot I installed live-* and 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 from backports. In isolinux.cfg "union=aufs" was changed to "union=overlay".

Upon installing the newer packages, intramfs was seen to be correctly updated automatically.

I ran refractasnapshot in "nocopy" mode on the chroot. The iso boots normally both in qemu and from my grub menu.

If you have more than one kernel installed you need to check the vmlinuz and initrd in the iso's /live are present and correctly referenced in isolinux.cfg (or live.cfg).
dzz

Postby fsmithred » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:16 pm

I just did the same test on hardware. Installed live-boot* and linux-image-4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 from backports, made a snapshot and it boots in qemu in bios mode and in uefi mode. Did not need union=overlay here - just left it out. Running devuan jessie minimal install plus icewm.
fsmithred

Postby raymerjacque » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:56 pm

which refracta version are you using ?
raymerjacque

Postby raymerjacque » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:29 pm

absolutely no luck. I even tried to do a fresh install of the debian jessie minimal iso.

I installed kernel 4.8 from backports, then updated the live boot packages from backports as well, install snapshot 10.0 and took a snapshot, still same error...

This is error is happening in EFI mode, even if i switch of the EFI mode in bios, it still boots to EFI menu in live mode, so i cant test the normal mode live boot, just EFI mode and this error is persisting.
raymerjacque

Next

Return to Help