Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

how devuan and refracta REALLY work (tongue in cheek)

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

how devuan and refracta REALLY work (tongue in cheek)

Postby figlfdev » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:42 am

images are links because the forum layout will cut them off otherwise:

how devuan works: http://i.imgur.com/6QgVCOE.png

how refracta works:

http://i.imgur.com/XVFiy0R.png
figlfdev

Re: how devuan and refracta REALLY work (tongue in cheek)

Postby deanmean » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:15 am

nice...

When devuan started I mentioned devuan should just work on providing repos/packages without systemd because that would be a shit load of work and then let others, like refracta, work on the providing the actual installable distro. But I like the unicorn representation of that idea even better... :shock:
deanmean

Postby golinux » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:02 pm

@deanmean . . . hello stranger! Nice to see you!!

@figlfdev . . . LOVE the unicorn!
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 pm

That's pretty funny! Nice job with the unicorn. :lol:
Mike

Postby figlfdev » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:20 pm

its refreshing to have something like this received in the spirit of its intentions :)

once you get devuan installed (and the installer worked fine the first time i used it in early 2015,) its as good as any derivative. i LOVE the refracta installer, i bet there are some edge cases where the devuan one even works better. i sure was disappointed by the beta version (installer misconfiguration, not bad installer) and im surprised they havent fixed it. such a small thing... reviews are very kind given that it added an hour to install time for me.

again, it worked fine in early 2015. for most cases, i prefer the refracta installer. i prefer the refracta configuration. i prefer the smaller, refracta iso download.

i still have gnuinos installed on one machine, fig os (auto-remastered from refracta, with icewm and support for puppy .pet packages as well as apt) on the others.

for alpha (or even beta) i probably had fewer issues with devuan than i did with debian jessie before it was final. or at least, they were few and all but one were tolerable (the time grub stopped working in devuan, it was solved by removing one package that was barely even related to grub. but that was before they went beta.)
figlfdev

Return to General Nonsense