Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Installing re-packaged cups

Stuff that has not yet gone into the official build.

Installing re-packaged cups

Postby fsmithred » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:20 pm

I tried installing dzz's re-packaged cups packages on my hardware install of jessie sysv.

Unpacked the tarball, changed to the cups dir, then 'dpkg -i *.deb'.
It failed due to lots of packages missing. I tried 'aptitude -s install zlib1g-dev poppler-utils libpng-dev libtiff-dev' to see what would happen. I think there were more missing packages, but I figured I'd start with those. I didn't let aptitude finish, because libsystemd0 was in the packages to be installed. That's a first - *systemd* is still pinned, and in the past, if I used 'aptitude -s install <some package that requires *systemd*> then aptitude would tell me that it couldn't install what I wanted. Now, I guess it just goes ahead and installs it anyway. I'll have to repeat this to convince myself that it's really this screwed up.

So then I tried 'apt-get -s install -f' and that did not pull in libsystemd0, so I ran it again without -s. It pulled in some libraries with version 1.7.5-9. Cups would not start - cups-daemon was missing. Installed that again from the repackaged deb. Cups still would not start because of mismatched versions (debs are 1.7.5-5).

Tried installing the debs again with 'dpkg -i --force-downgrade *.deb'. Cups wouldn't start - it was looking for libsystemd0-daemon.so.0. I tried creating a dummy version of that file (touch /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libsystemd0-daemon.so.0) but that didn't help. Also needed to install cups-filters, so I did that. Cups still wouldn't start for lack of that same file.

Here's what I got after 'apt-get -f install' and before 'dpkg -i --force-downgrade':
Code: Select all
dpkg -l |grep cups
rc  cups                             1.7.5-5                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD/driver support, web interface
ii  cups-bsd                         1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD commands
ii  cups-client                      1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client programs (SysV)
ii  cups-common                      1.7.5-9                           all          Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - common files
iU  cups-daemon                      1.7.5-5                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - daemon
ii  cups-filters-core-drivers        1.0.61-4                          i386         OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - PPD-less printing
ii  cups-ppdc                        1.7.5-5                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD manipulation utilities
ii  cups-server-common               1.7.5-5                           all          Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server common files
ii  libcups2:i386                    1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Core library
ii  libcups2-dev:i386                1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Development files CUPS library
ii  libcupscgi1:i386                 1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - CGI library
ii  libcupscgi1-dev                  1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Development files for CGI library
ii  libcupsfilters-dev               1.0.61-4                          i386         OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - Development files for the library
ii  libcupsfilters1:i386             1.0.61-4                          i386         OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - Shared library
ii  libcupsimage2:i386               1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Raster image library
ii  libcupsimage2-dev                1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Development files CUPS image library
ii  libcupsmime1:i386                1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - MIME library
ii  libcupsmime1-dev                 1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Development files MIME library
ii  libcupsppdc1:i386                1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD manipulation library
ii  libcupsppdc1-dev                 1.7.5-9                           i386         Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Development files PPD library
fsmithred

Re: Installing re-packaged cups

Postby dzz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Sounds like you're using the first-try older versions (since removed) if it's a tarball. This should be much better. There is a pre-depends list but I didn't get round to documenting the install order:

http://exegnulinux.net/refracta/experim ... s-1.7.5-7/

Cups was particularly difficult to do, separated into ~21 debs. I installed using dpkg -i in a "for loop" repeatedly till their interdeps were satisfied. That worked here and I could print.. that doesn't mean they will work for you.

The sources are there also for anyone to inspect/modify or help to roll your own.
dzz

Postby dzz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Typing from my new jessie-sysv install. Just installed the (newest) repackaged cups and watching a test page come out of my old Epson RX425.

Install order: pre-depends list first using apt. Then the libs (apt-mark auto them if wanted). Then with dpkg -i :

cups-common
cups-server-common
cups-bsd
cups-client
cups-daemon
cups-core-drivers
cups-ppdc
cups-server-common
cups

Before "cups" will need cups-filters from apt.

You might need printer-driver-gutenprint and/or foomatic-db depending on your printer.
dzz

Postby fsmithred » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:46 pm

In installed the newer repackaged cups, and the install went well. A little bit of dependency hell (or maybe just purgatory), but not bad. Added the polkit repack for hplip. Only problem I have now is that the Add Printer page doesn't list any parallel ports under local printers, just two serial ports. Both installations are on hardware, on the same machine. In wheezy, the parallel port is listed, and there are no serial ports listed. Also, I have /dev/lp0 in wheezy but not in jessie.

Gonna reboot into jessie and check running modules.
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:04 pm

nm. It decided to work. I have /dev/lp0, cups admin shows LPT #1, and the right driver for this printer works. That's better than wheezy, where I have to use the generic pcl driver.

Good job, dzz!
fsmithred

Return to Experimental