Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

jessie-openbox-vdev iso

Stuff that has not yet gone into the official build.

jessie-openbox-vdev iso

Postby fsmithred » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:23 am

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... erimental/

WARNING: This is EXPERIMENTAL. Use at your own risk.
Login Password
user user
root root

Burn to CD or dd to usb thumb drive.
Choose vdev or udev at boot.
Run 'startx' for graphical environment (openbox, lxpanel, lxterminal)
Sudo nopassword works for shutdown, reboot, pm-suspend and maybe a couple other things.

Removable drives: use pmount or spacefm.
Printer setup: localhost:631 in web browser.

Tell me what else is needed (minimally) to test bluetooth. Or anything else.

Test your devices.
fsmithred

Re: jessie-openbox-vdev iso

Postby fsmithred » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:45 pm

If you install any of the wireless drivers while running live, it won't work. When it tries to build the initramfs, it fails because /boot/initrd.img-<version> is missing. I removed it to save space on the iso. And there's no point in copying initrd-vdev.img to the expected name, because you need to reboot, and the changes will be gone.
fsmithred

Re: jessie-openbox-vdev iso

Postby fsmithred » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:03 pm

There's a bug in that iso. I forgot to remove the symlink, etc/rcS.d/S03vdev, so vdevd runs twice. I replaced the iso with jessie_ob_vdev-20160908_1437.iso.

There's also a usb-hdd image made from a full refracta8 plus vdev. That image has the same bug. You can dd that image to a usb stick, and it will make a live-usb with two partitions - one for the read-only system and one for persistence. There's a workaround for the bug:

Boot to read-only system (first two boot entries)
Run gparted to make the second partition larger. It's 60 or 80 MB to start. Make it 1-2 GB or more if you want.
Boot into persistent mode (vdev-rw or udev-rw) and delete the symlink. It will no longer show up when you boot with persistence.

That image can be found here -
http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload ... devusb-hdd
WARNING!!! You have to allow javascript, cookies and flash to download the file. Sorry about that. I didn't know.
fsmithred

Return to Experimental