Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Just figured out what was breaking pkexec, livecd permission

Stuff that has not yet gone into the official build.

Just figured out what was breaking pkexec, livecd permission

Postby greenjeans » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:12 pm

Dang, am I ever thick-headed at times...... :cry:

So the problem occurs if I install from the livecd and DON'T change the username for the new account. If I use the same username as what the user account is on the livecd, somehow it's retaining the permissions from the livecd for the new user account. If I change the username during install, everything works as it's supposed to in the new account.

I was re-naming the account "guest" every time I was doing a test install, I stopped doing that when we were messing with writing the autologin stuff, and started alternating names every time I did a test install, so problem went away.

Did an install with my latest iso and named it the same as the livecd account ("guest" in this case) and problem came back.

Still don't know if this is something I did or if maybe something else needs to be excluded to get rid of live-config files that may be hiding?

It's not a big deal on a new install, but a user making themselves a snapshot for backup would find their permissions changed if they had to install the backup and named it the same thing.

I can't believe it took me that long to realize what I was doing, this murphy's law **** will be the death of me I swear.
http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/opensource
Devuan-mate-minimal hybrid-iso, made with Refractasnapshot.
greenjeans

Re: Just figured out what was breaking pkexec, livecd permis

Postby greenjeans » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:38 pm

In other news, I have a new iso to run here in a few that's gonna be smaller. ;) Guessing around 378-380 mb.

Also about to run one using the 4.7 kernel instead of 3.16, trying it out now.
greenjeans

Postby greenjeans » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:45 pm

/var/lib/live/config/ * maybe? I need to do another broken install and check if there's anything there, the good install has 12 files but they are all empty. Maybe if you use the same username and get the permission error these files contain something that overrides permissions like it does on livecd?
greenjeans

Postby fsmithred » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:59 pm

The live-config scripts create those files in /var/lib/live/config, and they check for those files before the do whatever they're going to do, to make sure it hasn't already been done. No content is needed.

I don't know what would be changing with the permissions on the username, but I'll give it some thought. One thing to test might be to delete the user after install, delete that users home dir, and then re-create a user with the same name. I don't know if that will help. One thing to consider - the system uses the uid and gid to determine file permissions, not the name.
fsmithred

Postby greenjeans » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:52 pm

fsmithred wrote:The live-config scripts create those files in /var/lib/live/config, and they check for those files before the do whatever they're going to do, to make sure it hasn't already been done. No content is needed.

I don't know what would be changing with the permissions on the username, but I'll give it some thought. One thing to test might be to delete the user after install, delete that users home dir, and then re-create a user with the same name. I don't know if that will help. One thing to consider - the system uses the uid and gid to determine file permissions, not the name.

Cool, I will look in those areas....it's gotta be something simple, there has to be something in the live scripts that flips a switch when a new username is used and has the system reset permissions to the defaults it had before the livecd configuration.

Honestly I don't see why it needs to change them for the livecd to begin with, maybe that process needs to not happen. I used to do livecd's that way, you still needed password to open synaptic or gparted or anything else that needed root permission. I had a little script that opened a dialog box when livecd booted that reminded the user of the livecd passwords for convenience.

Did a test run last night just to see how small the iso is now after getting rid of all autoremoveables, 379.6 mb, woo-hoo! Could even go smaller by removing the dejavu fonts and murrine themes and engine, but the default fonts ain't too pretty, especially in terminal.
greenjeans

Return to Experimental