Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Looking for good SysVinit documentation

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

Looking for good SysVinit documentation

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Admittedly, I've never delved too deeply into any init and wanted to learn more about SysVinit. I found a smattering of material around the web but nothing truly dedicated to it and it's inner workings. I realize it's fairly old and mostly shell scripts but it would be nice to see an in-depth history, standardized methods of working with it, etc. Does anybody have any links to such information?

Also, has any thought been put into using runit or s6 or is SysVinit more than adequate for Refracta?
Mike

Re: Looking for good SysVinit documentation

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:33 pm

May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:07 pm

golinux wrote:https://talk.devuan.org/t/an-alternative-init-system-for-devuan/205/

Looks like this guy used sinit made by the suckless folks which I imagine is what they will be using in their stali distro.
Mike

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Mike wrote:
golinux wrote:https://talk.devuan.org/t/an-alternative-init-system-for-devuan/205/

Looks like this guy used sinit made by the suckless folks which I imagine is what they will be using in their stali distro.

There's much more there that just that. Look at the links he has in his first post.

Also search the dng ML.
golinux

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:32 pm

I did but I'm not seeing anything specific to SysVinit unless I'm missing something obvious. I'll try some mailing lists but I was hoping for a page or books dedicated to SysVinit. Thanks though!

Also, what's dng? When I first read your second sentence I thought you told me to search the dang ML unless that is what you meant. lol
Mike

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 pm

I answered your second question not the first. Somewhere recently I saw a link to sysvinit documentation but can't find it. Look carefully in that thread and also search here

Lot's of info on the Devuan site also.
golinux

Postby figlfdev » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:08 pm

it has to be said that it doesnt look like devuan is going to maintain sysvinit as the default init either, in the long run.

that doesnt mean theyre going to pull a debian and try to lock people into something new and shiny-- i mean i think devuan would implode at that point, if only under the pressure from so many debiand fanboys laughing.

im sure (and this is sincere) whatever they do about it will be a lot more reasonable than debians stick-(wherever)-and-move.

and with the pace that devuan moves at (ok, this part is a tad bit cynical, but ive found devuan pretty reliable since the "first"-- unofficial-- iso in feb 2015) we dont have to worry about this for another year or more. :)

was that a cheap shot? --for what its worth, its an honest prediction. moving too fast is what debian started doing all of a sudden. the glacial pace was a feature, imo. hopefully they can handle ascii in a timely manner when the time is right-- thats a sincere, if mild concern. i certainly believe in it enough to continue basing my own system on it. refracta adds a whole layer of confidence to the thing.
figlfdev

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:47 pm

golinux wrote:I answered your second question not the first.

Sorry about that, I'm a bit slow today apparently.

figlfdev wrote:it has to be said that it doesnt look like devuan is going to maintain sysvinit as the default init either, in the long run.

Being a newbie to the init scene, I have to say that I'm perplexed as to why documentation for System V style init is not more widely available and thorough considering how long it's been around. Looks like I need to start at the very beginning on Unix initialization and work my way up to System V.

I found this lengthy blog post that looks fairly informative in terms of init history so I'll be giving that a read.
Mike

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Did you not find the link to troubleshooters.com in the talk.do link I posted?
golinux

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:19 am

Actually, I did miss that one. I was at work earlier and clicked on the first toubleshooters link but didn't see anything init related. Thanks for persisting and posting the direct link for me.
Mike

Next

Return to General Nonsense