Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

New website, new isos

For general announcements.

New website, new isos

Postby fsmithred » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:56 pm

I am pleased to unveil a completely remodeled website, thanks to the generous efforts of golinux.
Feast your eyes... http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/index.html

New isos have been uploaded to the sourceforge site. Refracta_7.1 is the same as 7.0 but is dist-upgraded to August 31, has a couple of .desktop files that were missing in 7.0 (Printer Setup and one other, I think) and has a bugfixed version of the installer. (encrypted install was broken, and change hostname was still broken in the cli script. I think it's really fixed now.) New installer debs have also been uploaded to ibiblio, sf and github. Latest version is 9.0.8-3.

You can get to the new isos and everything else by going through the ibiblio website (so I can show it off some more), or if you're in a hurry and need to save five seconds, go directly to the isohybrid folder at sourceforge with this link - https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... isohybrid/
fsmithred

Re: New website, new isos

Postby fsmithred » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 pm

I moved the rest of the discussion to the Help section. Here's the link -
updatedb-snapshot-from-live-session-other-stuff-t314.html
fsmithred

Postby meandean » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:43 pm

nice!
meandean

Postby kelsoo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:20 pm

Just to say I installed yesterday. Longstory short I wanted a Freeish system to duel boot with my Dragora install. I looked at Gnewsense but it was to old and gnome based which was not to my taste so I was going to do my usual Debian main and Linux-Libre install. Then I noticed a new Refracta with only free software on Debian forums. Nice.

I now have my "freeacta" install running nicely with only a few tweaks.

So far added a newer kernel from here
http://jxself.org/linux-libre/

Built a free firmware for my usb WIFI stick (TP-Link TL-WN722NC) only for the atheros pci card to come in the post this morning.

Need (want) to get the built in volume buttons working like in Gnewsense and I'm sure I'll find some other things but cheers. I thought the docs were ace and the Live install to disk was a pleasure. A very nice find was the presense of gtk-youtube-viewer. The only grumble was I wrote "Refracta" on a CD only to find it wouldn't fit. I should pay more attention :)

Anyway Congrats and Thanks

Kelsoo
kelsoo

Postby fsmithred » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 am

Oops. Sorry about the size. It's supposed to fit on a CD, but with updates, the size has been creeping up. I'll have to either uninstall something or figure out what else to exclude. Or was it the other kernel that pushed it over the top?

Tell me about the volume buttons - are you talking about physical buttons on a keyboard, or software buttons on the desktop? I'd like a panel plugin volume control for xfce, but I don't know if it exists. Others would like to see alsamixer-gui go away.

Stay tuned for sidfracta - coming soon(ish)* and a lot smaller. I'm thinking standard system, all or most of the rescue/repair/diagnostic stuff, xorg, basic xfce stuff (without the extra plugins) and whatever is needed to run the refracta tools. People can then add the apps they want and make their own snapshots if needed.

*Before 2014.
fsmithred

Return to Announcements