Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pcmanfm to get usb automount

Tips and Instructional topics. Not for support questions.

Pcmanfm to get usb automount

Postby coyotl » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Not exactly a howto but I discovered that Pcmanfm gives usb stick automount.

Refracta becomes much faster with LXDE as desktop environment and slim as login manager.

I'm using it on a slow pc, a 32 bit eeepc 1000H. An ultrafast browser for the Atom cpu is Palemoon
compiled for the Atom cpu.
coyotl

Re: Pcmanfm to get usb automount

Postby figlfdev » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:35 am

fortunately you can turn that off. no usb automount in fig os, which runs pcmanfm desktop as root, but x (and icewm) as user.

one time i modified the wrong config file (or the right file in the wrong folder) and automount came back. it is convenient until you dont want it, then its awful.
figlfdev

Postby coyotl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:38 pm

fig os would be this http://www.fig.sh/install.html ?

Anyway, don't think I wanna know.

Strong point of Refracta: a fast stable, conservative Linux. Perfect for simple setups like a netbook
where you want stuff to just work. People that want testing or experimental stuff without systemd: use antiX.

Thunar still does not automount usb, so if I want it turned off I just start Thunar..
coyotl

Postby fsmithred » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Different fig. FigOS (is that how it really looks?) is a renamed refractahrpup -
refractahrpup-not-a-real-hybrid-real-screencaps-t587.html

It's been a long time since I've used pcmanfm. It keeps coming up in topics, so I guess I should try it again. What does pcmanfm use for mounting usb? (pmount, udisks2, something else?)
fsmithred

Postby thwak » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:15 pm

https://github.com/lxde/libfm
mounting volumes without root privileges is supported by gvfs and udisks, given you have correct policy-kit configurations.
thwak

Postby coyotl » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 pm

https://codeinfig.wordpress.com/2016/07 ... ow-fig-os/

Interesting, was looking for a Puppy to put on an old P4 laptop.

I wouldn't know how Pcmanfm automounts. In LXDE it pops up automatically.

I needed to change permissions on a lot of files that had been stored on a FAT drive. Thunar could do it but not pcmanfm/spacefm
coyotl

Postby figlfdev » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:47 am

pcmanfm automounts if you run it with --desktop (or if you already have a window open.) thats probably the only reason lxde does. however since jessie, i no longer rely on pcmanfm for mounting. spacefm seems to have fared better in this regard, but i still prefer pcmanfm for most things.

fig os no longer includes puppy mode. indeed it originally had "puppy mode" (boot into puppy with some parts of refracta) and "refracta mode" (boot into refracta with some parts of puppy) but i took that idea as far as i could before my level of interest leveled out with the general lack.

fig os still imports petget (you can install puppy packages) in the latest version-- i had it running on a p4 with less than 1 g of ram, but now that ive upgraded the ram it can even boot entirely to ram.

thats partly because its no longer two images in one-- it would be too large to boot to ram if it still booted into both modes, rather than importing parts of puppy into refracta. also puppy mode would still have an older kernel and any vulnerabilities that came with it-- the one original goal of refractahrpup that wasnt realized was to update even the kernel of tahrpup. i got as far as opening puppys initrd, but not making a new one.
figlfdev

Postby thwak » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:42 pm

fig os no longer includes puppy mode. indeed it originally had "puppy mode" (boot into puppy with some parts of refracta) and "refracta mode" (boot into refracta with some parts of puppy) but i took that idea as far as i could before my level of interest leveled out with the general lack.

fig os still imports petget (you can install puppy packages) in the latest version-- i had it running on a p4 with less than 1 g of ram, but now that ive upgraded the ram it can even boot entirely to ram.

thats partly because its no longer two images in one-- it would be too large to boot to ram if it still booted into both modes, rather than importing parts of puppy into refracta. also puppy mode would still have an older kernel and any vulnerabilities that came with it-- the one original goal of refractahrpup that wasnt realized was to update even the kernel of tahrpup. i got as far as opening puppys initrd, but not making a new one.

because... herpetology?

the topic was automount. Why are you rambling about petpets and old kernel vulnerabilities?
thwak

Postby thwak » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:56 pm

change permissions on a lot of files that had been stored on a FAT drive.
Thunar could do it but not pcmanfm/spacefm
Wondering whether you (actually) mean that thunar just provides an easily-found context menu action for that task, vs the other file managers do not. Hmm, maybe you mean that thunar supports one-pass changes to shift/control +clicked multiple selected files? (spacefm does not). With certainty that I've used spacefm to toggle permissions of files residing on a FAT partition, I just now re-tested... and now wonder whether you've found a previously unreported bug. I had never noticed, but now trying various changes, find that when I right-click a directory and (specify recursive) change permissions, bulk removal of write permission is successful, but bulk/recursive addition of write permission fails. Restoring write permission required right-clicking the listed files one-by-one..

...so I've filed a bug report
"failure to apply recursive file permission changes"
https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/679
thwak

Postby figlfdev » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:42 am

the topic was automount. Why are you rambling about petpets and old kernel vulnerabilities?

because, your mom. i was talking about automount, why dont you read it again. try searching for "automount" its right at the fucking top-- and dont waste my time with stupid fucking rhetorical questions, i will just tell you where to put them. i know this place is hella busy and needs a topic nazi to keep it all straight-- thank **** you got here just in time! you can file this one under kiss my ***. oh-- and happy new year.
figlfdev

Next

Return to How-to