Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Plymouth issue.

Ask your questions here.

Plymouth issue.

Postby raymerjacque » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 am

I notice when i use refractasnapshot it kills my plymouth boot splash theme, not just in live boot but after install as well.

where would i set it to keep my plymouth theme active on bootup, live boot and after ?

its usually a line in grub "quiet splash"

but which file in refracta handles grub, where do i make the changes ?

Btw i am using refractasnapshot on both debian and Ubuntu based distros, and it works great, so congrats on the latest version :D
raymerjacque

Re: Plymouth issue.

Postby fsmithred » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:31 am

Set refractasnapshot to let you edit the boot menu, so you can add "quiet, splash" to the linux line in grub.cfg and the append line in live.cfg. You could edit the templates for those files in /usr/lib/refractasnapshot, and the changes will last until you install a newer version of refractasnapshot. A third way to do it would be to make your own iso directory with custom files and set refractasnaphot to use that as iso_dir. All of those methods will only affect the live iso.

When you install the system to hard disk, grub looks in /etc/default/grub for what to put on the kernel line. If GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT contains "quiet, splash" in the original system, it should still be there in the iso, where it does not get used, and then in the installation, where it does get used.

You can check the excludes file to see if some plymouth files are being excluded, and if so, adjust that file. Don't mess with the grub files that are excluded - those are specific to the hardware layout in the original system.
fsmithred

Postby raymerjacque » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:26 pm

thank you.
raymerjacque

Postby fsmithred » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:51 pm

I just noticed the following in my notes:
BUG!!! If you use a custom iso_dir, and it uses live.cfg for the menu, your menu will get clobbered by the default.
In fact, if you edited the config file to use a different boot menu, it'll still get clobbered.

Workaround until I fix it would be to customize the files in /usr/lib/refractasnapshot/iso and don't change the $iso_dir setting. Just keep a backup copy of that directory so that if you upgrade refractasnapshot and your custom files get overwritten, you can restore the backup copies.
fsmithred

Return to Help