Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

jessie-sysv bugs

Stuff that has not yet gone into the official build.

jessie-sysv bugs

Postby fsmithred » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:42 pm

I installed jessie-sysv (from iso built a few days ago) to hard drive.

Right now, halt, reboot, shutdown -r don't complete. It just goes to a black screen with the power still on.

ctrl-alt-Fn keys didn't work for a short time. That might have been the fact that I was disabling autologin on console while running and without rebooting. (issue 'init q' to re-read inittab)

update-grub (or os-prober) not creating the correct menu entries - I have four entries for memtest, but none for the many installations on this computer. When I run it, it says that it found this installation, but it still doesn't get into the menu.

Installer died on mount command. Need to remove the '-t type' from the mount commands for chroot (right before grub-install) to get the script to complete.
fsmithred

Re: jessie-sysv bugs

Postby dzz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:15 am

Installed here today to a Dell Inspiron 6400 refracted_jessie_sysv-20141203_1737

Added the latest installer first. No problems noticed with grub-install to mbr. I selected "allow sudo".

Shutdown/reboot from menu in my case caused freezup (except mouse cursor moved and keyboard responded.. I could switch tty) This was fixed when I noticed sudoers.d/user_shutdown referred to "user", not the installation's username nor (would be better) %sudo

So two bugs really, the live username was unchanged in sudoers.d/user_shutdown and "allow sudo" is a requirement (not option) for this shutdown menu configuration.. otherwise freezeup (or black screen in your case)

Upgraded util-linux in the installation did not make any problems. Not totally certain yet but I suspect that an (unknown as yet) previous package upgrade may cause boot failure of a refractasnapshot image with newer util-linux. I would suggest the next iso should be made from a totally fresh live-build or debootstrap.

More later..
dzz

Postby fsmithred » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:35 am

The old sudoers.d/user_shutdown should get moved to user_shutdown.old and replaced with one containing $newusername. Look around lines 1422 in username_dialog() and then 1549 where $sudo_shutdown gets processed. Once we get this working, the next version will have that box checked by default.

Reboot seems to be working, halt does just that - it halts the system. It no longer powers off the machine. But the poweroff command does.
fsmithred

Postby dzz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:35 pm

halt does just that - it halts the system. It no longer powers off the machine.

It does here but nothing new shows on the console while it shuts down

This is something to do with xinit (which I don't know very well and always avoided because of similar problems) I expect..

This install is new and unmodified except newer util-linux and refracta tools.
dzz

Postby fsmithred » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:37 am

I reinstalled jessie-sysv with the new installer. Grub installed normally (in mbr of /dev/sdc). If I boot from my first drive (squeeze) and use 'configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg' I get the menu that only has memtest in it. If I use the bios boot menu and select /dev/sdc to boot, I get the grub menu for /dev/sdc with the correct entries, not just memtest. So maybe it has something to do with using the squeeze version of grub to boot.

This time I changed the user name, and sudoers.d/user_shutdown was changed to use the new name. The old name is in sudoers.d/user_shutdown.old - it did what it's supposed to do.

Reboot doesn't work here. Not on that installation, anyway.

Also discovered today that ping no longer works for user. Guess this is off-topic, because that was on a jessie-systemd live-usb. That's in iputils-ping, which gets pulled in for wicd-daemon.
fsmithred

Postby dzz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:40 am

maybe it has something to do with using the squeeze version of grub to boot

Older grub versions may not support ext4 (but should be able to chainload a PBR)
dzz

Return to Experimental