Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

create decent gif infographics from impress presentations

Tips and Instructional topics. Not for support questions.

create decent gif infographics from impress presentations

Postby figlfdev » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:06 am

no one likes powerpoint and its ilk, but ive been working on a short coding "textbook" and my friend who hates to read says he doesnt want to read longform.

since he has enough familiarity with code (but not really enough to do more than find his way around the command line) i thought id make index cards. but i didnt have index cards, so i used paper plates (i have tons.)

then i started looking for the best way to do "paper plate" index cards digitally, which is when i pulled out impress-- a tool i almost never use.

it can export to pdf or do a page to an image, but the export to images plugin was buggy, so i did this instead using inkscape and pdf2svg:

Code: Select all
for x in $(seq 1 12) ; do pdf2svg slides.pdf slide$x.svg $x ; inkscape -z -e slide$x.png -w 502 -h 376 slide$x.svg ; convert slide$x.png slide$x.gif ; done

so this is exporting each page to svg, png and gif. and theyre all fairly nice looking.

convert can stitch them all together into an "infographic" like this:

Code: Select all
convert slide1.gif slide2.gif slide3.gif slide4.gif slide5.gif slide6.gif slide7.gif slide8.gif slide9.gif slide10.gif slide11.gif slide12.gif -append out.gif

if you use -append it is vertical, +append is horizontal.

result: http://i.imgur.com/ijw0lcc.gif (281k, 502 x 7144)
figlfdev

Return to How-to