Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

refracta-noclobberinstaller

Refracta Development, Scripts, etc.

refracta-noclobberinstaller

Postby figlfdev » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:17 pm

im thinking of adding a script to fig os called refracta-noclobberinstaller.

i can certainly change the name (and i was going to add a note regarding the changes and who did NOT make them) though its just going to be refractainstaller:

* without mke2fs lines commented (including the check_whatever that comes after)
* same for rm -rf lines commented

thinking of making it not +x (person who wants to use it can +x the thing) and putting a note that says "dont use this unless you know what youre doing-- run refractainstaller instead, it will erase all data on the target partitions."

the reason is that i tried this by hand (yes, it tells you not to) and i got rid of the mke2fs lines, and forgot the rm -rf lines...

it was so helpful, letting me know that it...

nooooooooo...

had a really wild (pretty excellent) week, that was the worst part of it-- if it had to happen on one of my systems, it might as well be that one. i do backup, they obviously werent part of this particular case.

still, im thinking of making a script called refracta-noclobberinstaller, and not having it +x (and having a warning that its not the usual installer, nor checked out by the usual authors.)

the usual refractainstaller will remain unalterered and +x --probably not wise to meddle with it.

comments welcome-- in fact if youve got them, this is a request.
figlfdev

Re: refracta-noclobberinstaller

Postby fsmithred » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:49 am

I'm confused. The 'rm -rf' lines should just remove empty mountpoints. And the mke2fs lines should be avoidable by using the "Do not format" option. If these aren't working right, I need to know.

There have been some old discussions about this. Threre are some addtional tweaks you might need to make with the --delete portions of the rsync lines. See what dzz had to say about it. I don't remember what he was doing with it.

Edit: Wow. We've obviously fallen off the google search grid. A search for the words rsync and delete only brings up three hits. If I add the word format, there are no hits. That's for five years of discussion about three tools that use rsync and format. Is the internet dying?

If I can remember what the thread was about, maybe I can find it. It was at least a year ago, more likely two years ago. The Do not format option appeared in refractainstaller 9.0.9,, around the end of 2013 or early in 2014.
Try this one - new-versions-of-installer-and-snapshot-9-1-x-for-sid-t383-40.html#p3788 or (I searched for 'filter lost+found').
fsmithred

Postby nadir » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:56 pm

Well: What would be the absolute minimum needed?
tell the installer which partition to use (for example as an argument "installer-name /dev/sda1").
create a partition/filesystem
rsync the whole shebang over (including to exclude some stuff)
install grub

Thats all? Sounds like way less than 100 lines, doesn't it?
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby fsmithred » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:55 pm

105 if you count blank lines and comments.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kylori ... rce=navbar

I'm surprised I remembered the name. And where is he, anyway?
fsmithred

Return to Discuss