Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

non-matching md5? please advise

Refracta Development, Scripts, etc.

Re: non-matching md5? please advise

Postby figlfdev » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:38 pm

thwak wrote:the only thing I could find (after installing gobs of apps) utilizing the daemon was the script generating the machine-id. My takeaway is/was that it represents a self-serving mechanism for the debian devs (facilitating "popcon" install counts).

ahh, that makes perfect sense. imo this should only be active when popcon is installed, but youve saved me quite a lot of trouble trying to convince devuan to remove it.

if its used by popcon, i can imagine i wont be able to make a case against it until we are no longer interested in popcon. (even though it could be a removable requirement.) its just too much to ask.

this will help though. ive learned its NOT a checksum, and what its used for. but i agree, i didnt think it was (originally) a sysd thing-- its a freedesktop thing, which isnt 100% the same all the time. cheers and thanks.

fsmithred: *shrug* --your call. thanks again.
figlfdev

Re: non-matching md5? please advise

Postby figlfdev » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:51 pm

fsmithred wrote:The machine-id is excluded from the rsync copy, so whatever you see was generated on your machine. Mine is definitely a different number.

last time we talked about this, i was stuck using whatever iso you put online, which meant i had to whine more if there was something i didnt like.

thats no longer the case, and i would never expect you to do like ive done and add a line to rc.local to remove machine-id from /var/lib/dbus as its generated on boot.

now that ive done this, so far dbus-related things are probably working ok. but one thing is not-- atril. it refuses to load a pdf with machine-id missing.

updating to the lousy new evince does fix the problem. this is not a recommendation for refracta, it is information pertaining mostly to fig os that may at some point shed light on what is with atril and machine-id on refracta-- more than i used to realize, in any case. you can use atril over evince (i prefer atril too) or you can get rid of /var/lib/dbus/machine-id ...if anyone finds a way to do both, please mention it here.
figlfdev

Previous

Return to Discuss