Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

meandean is deanmean

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

meandean is deanmean

Postby deanmean » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:55 pm

missed nadir so much I had to visit

I swear i did not know anything about Refracta becoming famous although I will gladly take all the credit if you need me to....or if you dont stop me....mwa ha ha aaah

I hope to be around a bit more but still have a old house to work on, got the bedrooms done, well at least the first redo on them until the rest of the house is redone...and been selling **** on ebay to make a few bucks so that keeps me busy too...

But I am really craving a minimal simple system that doesn't break easily...or at least can be put back together when I do break it......and is understandable....controllable....not sure what word I am looking for...

When I read the distrowatch review, and came to the wireless firmware issue, I thought maybe a simple gui to detect wireless controller and install firmware might be sensible....if you want to cater to those that need it...just sayin...or something that just installs all the firmware if the user chooses to use it...

hi everyone!
deanmean

Re: meandean is deanmean

Postby golinux » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:25 pm

"meandean is deanmean". . . Duh . . . I think we figured that out. Swooping in to take a bow eh? Well-deserved! You threatened to be around a bit more. Hope that's a promise . . . :)
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby nadir » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:42 pm

minimal system not easy to break and understandable is a tough one. At least for me.
devuan or refracta seem to do the job for now.
dragora is on my list. At their channel they also often talk about distros round those lines (at least small and understandable). But i am not that much in fooling anymore, hence i barely have a look.

Well: try to hang out now and then.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby deanmean » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:33 pm

golinux wrote:Swooping in to take a bow eh?

nope no bow really....maybe pat fsr on the back and say good job...dont think anyone would bother with refracta if it was still the way I prefer it....

just a coincidence that windows 10 infuriated me for the final time....and fedora 25...while nice...doesnt really pare down as completely as I would like or I dont have the skill to do so...

nadir wrote:minimal system not easy to break and understandable is a tough one. At least for me.
devuan or refracta seem to do the job for now.
dragora is on my list. At their channel they also often talk about distros round those lines (at least small and understandable). But i am not that much in fooling anymore, hence i barely have a look.

Yea I aint into fooling around much. I want to rip out half the system with a simple package manager. Install a web browser and two or three apps. And done. When I use ps I want to know what all the process are, what they are doing, why they are doing it, and how to rip them out if I dont want it doing what it is doing.

nadir wrote:Well: try to hang out now and then.

will do
deanmean

Postby fsmithred » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:27 pm

Here's a special commerative issue of refracta.
Standard system install of devuan plus some command-line utilities, but I don't remember which.
xorg, icewm, leafpad, spacefm, palemoon, xarchiver, refracta tools, gparted. I think that's all. I just made it to speed up installing a base system for all these test installs I'm doing. That, and in a way, I kind of missed icewm.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/refracta/file ... 3_2028.iso

On the firmware thing, I think I have a script that dzz wrote a couple years ago to probe the hardware and figure out what firmware was needed. If I can find it...
fsmithred

Postby figlfdev » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:33 am

fsmithred wrote:palemoon

i know this is a special version, but if youre thinking of going in the direction of palemoon thats great to hear. if not, its probably because someone here is totally against it. in that case id understand (that person could even be you.)

On the firmware thing, I think I have a script that dzz wrote a couple years ago to probe the hardware and figure out what firmware was needed. If I can find it...

please please let me know about any scripts in the regular refracta that probes for and loads non-free firmware or modules.

pertaining to regular (standard?) refracta versions, i mean. ive already removed that folder of wireless drivers, id remove the probe script too. i try to keep fig os as libre as possible-- no need to make refracta that way on my account, but please dont throw in more non-free stuff without documenting it :) if possible. thank you.
figlfdev

Postby deanmean » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:07 am

fsmithred wrote:Here's a special commerative issue of refracta.

:D

nice to get back to a simple system....needs some love though...
deanmean

Postby fsmithred » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:18 am

The only script I could find was bin/check-missing-firmware in an unpacked initrd.gz from a debian or devuan install CD. It looks complicated.

fig, if I add any non-free stuff, people will be warned. And from what I understand, the choice will soon be palemoon or pulseaudio (or chromium, ugh). I'll take the palemoon, thanks. Some pages don't look right in palemoon, and that's why it's not already in refracta. And in case I'm not clear, pulseaudio is NOT happening in refracta. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to work it.
fsmithred

Postby figlfdev » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:28 am

fsmithred wrote:from what I understand, the choice will soon be palemoon or pulseaudio (or chromium, ugh). I'll take the palemoon, thanks.

a nightly isnt a guarantee, but ive been tired of mozilla ever since they removed the javascript and images checkboxes from the preferences (yeah, theyre in the mozilla windows registry editor, which soon will be larger than the actual windows registry, its so bloated with crap.) :(

so bring on palemoon-- bring on any popular floss browser thats not mozilla or google.

youll save me replacing mozilla in mkfigos, which ive been thinking about doing (but instead i updated the version in rc1 in hopes of fixing some vulnerabilities.)

every time they come out with a new version of mozilla, i hate it that much more. they should just get rid of everyone thats not on their security team, their designers belong at freedesktop.org.
figlfdev

Postby nadir » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:08 pm

wondering why no one is working on or offering a better web-browser ...
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Return to General Nonsense