Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

csd, csd?

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

csd, csd?

Postby figlfdev » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:24 am

https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 ... n.html#dng

Alas, gtk3 causes gnomeization of everything it touches. Try the file open
dialog, or even worse, the font selection dialog. The worst part, CSD, is not
mandatory _yet_ but has already found its way to a number of programs that
are hawked as "desktop-agnostic". Thus, we need to change task-desktop to
use atril instead of evince, eom instead of eog, etc.

1. whats csd? (anyone?)

2. ive never disagreed with changing evince to atril-- atril is what i expect, when i run evince. the new evince is awful-- trust me, its part of fig os 2.2 and its awful.

the reason its there is that i dont believe anything should required /var/lib/dbus/machine-id (uuidd) and if i thwart machine-id then atril does not work :)

so im forced to either run evince (which does at least work) or stop deleting machine-id, or use another pdf viewer (believe it or not ive been fighting against gnome for as long as mate has existed, and i still use gimp and evince because i like evince even more than i loathe gnome.)

hopefully future versions of atril will run without this:

Failed to get bus connection: Cannot spawn a message bus without a machine-id: Unable to load /var/lib/dbus/machine-id or / etc /machine-id: Failed to open file '/var/lib/dbus/machine-id': No such file or directory

then evince wont be an issue. atril does run even in this context-- but when you open a pdf, it wont. ive tried opening with a pdf, and opening and then loading the pdf after.
figlfdev

Re: csd, csd?

Postby nadir » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:56 am

probably client-side-decortions.
I had to use a searchengine, i don't really understand such stuff. nor care for it, as long dependencies don't get in my way.

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/08/how-to-d ... -side.html
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby golinux » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Gnome wants to control the look of their DE so it has become less and less customizable. It's a branding thing and it sucks. Users will take what Gnome decides to give them.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby figlfdev » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 pm

golinux wrote:Gnome wants to control the look of their DE so it has become less and less customizable. It's a branding thing and it sucks.

dont they know ive been customizing windows for years?

i get it if this is the starter edition, but if i subscribe to the enterprise license can i at least change the border sizes, possibly with a .reg file?

obviously im going to have to call customer service again. its not the wait, its the awful music they play on hold-- and getting transferred back and forth is always fun.
figlfdev

Return to General Nonsense