Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Thank you fsmithred!

Refracta Development, Scripts, etc.

Thank you fsmithred!

Postby miyolinux » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:26 am

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to drop a quick note of huge thanks to fsmithred.

Thank you for the Refracta Tools. I've made a small Devuan-based distro with Openbox, and the Refracta Tools have made it possible for me to share it with others. I can't begin to express my gratitude. I don't know if it's possible to donate to the Refracta Tools project, but I would like to do so if possible. :)
miyolinux

Re: Thank you fsmithred!

Postby fsmithred » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:35 am

You're very welcome. I'm glad you found the tools useful. Right now, there's no mechanism in place for financial contributions, but bug reports, suggestions and even code contributions are welcome.
fsmithred

Postby AlexRey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:12 am

fsmithred wrote:Right now, there's no mechanism in place for financial contributions

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3163

I would get something in place for donations when you can , look at the donations at the bottom of the latest blog for the new Mint 18.1 release.

Donations in October: $9,803

:)
AlexRey

Postby FOSSuser » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:29 pm

My thanks to both fsmithred & miyolinux, whilst I contributed to Devuan a while back to help with infrastructure costs, I hadn't, until now, actually got around to testing the 'product'. :)

Your MiyoLinux was tried out yesterday, & I'm glad to have found a basic distro to use to start off with, you have the same philosophy as myself, that is, a minimalist approach, then add what I want.

Having said that, I intend trying out refracta with a view to recommending it to people who ask for a decent distro. ;)
FOSSuser

Postby FOSSuser » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:22 pm

Just tried out refracta8 this morning, but have a problem with wifi connection.

Tried to connect wifi without success, the one in my laptop uses rt73usb, the usb stick is rtl8192cu.

The usb wifi definately works in MiyoLinux without any problems, so I guess they do something differently.

Any clues as to what the trouble could be?

Edit: Internal rt73 does not work on either distro. Both are the 64bit distros.
FOSSuser

Postby fsmithred » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:12 pm

I think your wireless needs firmware-ralink installed. Refracta has no packages installed from non-free or contrib repositories, but the wireless firmware packages can be found in /home/user/wireless_drivers. See the readme in that folder. I think you need to install firmware-ralink, or maybe firmware-realtek.

Also, check the preferences in wicd. Click on the down-arrow that's to the right of the word Refresh in the tool bar to get to Preferences. Make sure your wireless interface is entered in the first text box. (It's probably wlan0)

It's also possible you need to reboot after installing the firmware package. If you're trying to do this while running live, it'll only work if you have full persistence set up.
fsmithred

Postby FOSSuser » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I'll try & grab some firmware files from somewhere to try out.

(I checked wicd preferences & have wlan0, & also I tried Hidden Network.)
FOSSuser

Postby dzz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:48 pm

If you boot from a writeable live-media (e.g. a syslinux usb ) you can easily place a custom "live-hook" script there and reference it's path like this on cmdline, with a wget-style URL:

Code: Select all
hooks=file:///lib/live/mount/findiso/my_snapshot/hookscript

If you don't boot "findiso", work out where is the live-media mountpoint in /lib/live/mount/, I forget.

The hookscript will be the last live-config script to run and will do anything you want, e.g (I need firmware-iwlwifi and use this):

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

echo "Installing wireless firmware.."
dpkg -i /home/user/wireless_drivers/firmware-iwlwifi_0.43_all.deb

exit 0

Some wireless firmwares are easier than others. A few might need a dependency, to be already networked , do a manual modprobe or even a reboot. Then maybe full persistence is the easiest solution.

Any file which the hook calls can be placed on the usb if it's not something built in to the image.
dzz

Postby FOSSuser » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:21 pm

I've created an installation on a pendrive, used dpkg to add ralink, realtek & atheros wifi drivers - will now go off to try it on my laptops. :)

Edit: That didn't work, so I added them all - now I've got wifi. :D
FOSSuser

Return to Discuss