Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

palemoon &devuans are just self-serving egotists(so im told)

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

palemoon &devuans are just self-serving egotists(so im told)

Postby figlfdev » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:45 am

ive read that palemoon is just an ego trip, which could be true, but i think its more likely that theres just so much mess to clean up-- youd have to have an ego to even try to fix it. but calling someone an egotist for that line of reasoning is circular, or catch-22.

it also makes me think of the reputation the devuan devs have. no matter what they do. year after year?

also, palemoon is disgusting-- its made of cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wGMsOhaPJs
figlfdev

Re: palemoon &devuans are just self-serving egotists(so im t

Postby golinux » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:38 pm

This video is unavailable with Restricted Mode enabled. To view this video, you will need to disable Restricted Mode.
Sorry about that.

WTF is restricted mode?
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby thwak » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:50 pm

hmm, is finnix http://www.finnix.org/ an ego trip? How about 4M linux? Absolute Linux?
Yeah, in another topic we groused about devuan's choice of Discourse for its "forum"... but at least they have a forum! Following links from distrowatch, it's a headscratcher for me to notice how many a "distro" lacks a forum, lacks a mailinglist or has a ml with zero activity. My best guess is that many of these represent "portfolio" fodder ~~ jojo lists on his resume or mentions during a job interview "oh, and by the way, I'm the lead developer of and Chief Cybersecurity|Cloud|Buzzword3 Officer for the vanitynamehere linux distro".

When describing boutique distros, I can't recall previously hearing or saying "ego trip". Maybe "vanity distro"?
Some have been really well put together, and under-appreciated, seldom mentioned... like galpOn miNino

shh! piece and quite
thwak

Postby figlfdev » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:42 pm

golinux wrote:WTF is restricted mode?

couldnt tell you. might as well take it as a compliment, they obviously dont think youre old enough to watch a classically trained bass player with sideburns playing an aluminum pipe with bass strings and midi controls. they dont want corrupt you :)

i didnt think youd be a fan but if you look for that1guy "the moon is disgusting" you will probably find watchable version of it. i like it live, but it doesnt seem like your cup of tea. could be wrong, of course.

When describing boutique distros, I can't recall previously hearing or saying "ego trip". Maybe "vanity distro"?

oh when im not specific i could be talking about almost anyone. in this case, i dont even have a name to give, but ive surely read speculation of that type-- my point about it was that its easy and (like a lot of speculation) difficult to prove or disprove. but im sure it happens. fig os for what its worth, is a small effort that started as an experiment, and continues as whatever it is. i actually do think its useful for education, but that could mean anything. what i consider education many would possibly consider a complete waste of time, and vice versa. there are some lovely and very stilted debates about that sort of thing, which im occasionally privy to that i find mildly interesting at least.
figlfdev

Postby greenjeans » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:06 pm

lol, GreenJeans linux, mooses all agree it's the best, (shhh, don't tell the Captain).

:mrgreen:
http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/opensource
Devuan-mate-minimal hybrid-iso, made with Refractasnapshot.
greenjeans

Postby FOSSuser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:56 pm

There are only a few actual Linux distros, Debian/Devuan/RedHat/Slackware mainly, who actually build from the program code, the rest are the base distro plus software - spins/respins. 8-)

I'm not saying this is bad, because I like a choice, but some are so marginally different as to only have a change of name & a different wallpaper - change the desktop environment or window manager, give it a name & you have a new 'distro'. ;)
FOSSuser

Return to General Nonsense