Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Regarding MiyoLinux and its association with Refracta

Refracta Development, Scripts, etc.

Regarding MiyoLinux and its association with Refracta

Postby miyolinux » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:53 am

Hi folks!

First, let me say that I've spoken with fsmithred about this. ;)

From what I've gathered from reading various posts on the internet, there seems to be a general consensus that MiyoLinux is a respin of Refracta.

First, I apologize for any confusion about this on my part. I did publicly thank Refracta (and Devuan) when I released MiyoLinux, and that may have led to people's belief that MiyoLinux is a respin of Refracta.

I'm new to developing and still have much to learn. With that said, and to lessen any confusion, these are the basics of how MiyoLinux was built and distributed.

I started with both 32bit and 64bit Devuan netinstalls.
I just installed only the base Devuan systems of each...no desktop or anything else.
I then added Openbox and only the software/applications that I wanted included in MiyoLinux.
I then added the Refracta tools needed to make the .isos and the installer.

So, while MiyoLinux does use Refractasnapshot and the Refracta Installer, those are the only parts of Refracta that are used by MiyoLinux. I'm very thankful to both fsmithred and Refracta; however, I hope that this possibly clears up any confusion as to whether MiyoLinux is a Refracta respin.

At this point in my development knowledge (or lack thereof), I consider MiyoLinux as a Devuan derivative that is made possible for distribution because of the Refracta tools.

...and I'll say it again...

My thanks go out to both Devuan and Refracta. Without them, MiyoLinux wouldn't exist. ;)
miyolinux

Re: Regarding MiyoLinux and its association with Refracta

Postby FOSSuser » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice to clarify things. :)

I was under no illusion that Miyo was a respin of Refracta, just that they didn't work quite the same regarding wifi. ;)

Both are being based on Devuan, & this is why I'm here. :D

My thanks go to all concerned in the building of distros like these which makes it easy for people like me to install free operating systems & software to use as I want.
FOSSuser

Postby miyolinux » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Thank you FOSS; and my thanks also go to folks like you who are willing to give MiyoLinux a try.

MiyoLinux is a very new distro, so there's not much about it on the internet yet. However, I have found a few things about it, and there have been a few things said that seems to indicate they think it's a Refracta respin.

I just didn't want to cause fsmithred (or Refracta) any problems due to that, and out of respect for him, I wanted to try to clear it up if possible. :)
miyolinux

Postby AlexRey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:29 am

As much as i love the idea of only installing the things you need it can be a complete pain with modern hardware.

Apart from Cinnamon most desktops look crap on HiDPI or 4k screens.
AlexRey

Postby miyolinux » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:17 am

You touched on something there AlexRey. :)

My original purpose behind MiyoLinux was for it to be 32bit only for people with older machines. As there is more talk about the discontinuation of 32bit operating systems, I wanted to at least try to provide it while I could. I was asked to make a 64bit version. After doing so, I decided to make the 64bit version available too.

I still try to make it a point that MiyoLinux is ideally for older machines. That was (and is) its intended purpose. ;)

Thanks AlexRey!
miyolinux

Postby AlexRey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:26 am

https://devuan.org/os/packages/task-cinnamon-desktop

I wouldn't give up on modern hardware as they are working on Cinnamon with devuan. :)
AlexRey

Return to Discuss