Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pcmanfm to get usb automount

Tips and Instructional topics. Not for support questions.

Re: Pcmanfm to get usb automount

Postby coyotl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Happy new year. Yes, I have no idea why Pcmanfm and Spacefm failed to change owner and permissions on a folder with files that had these messed up by being saved on a fat drive. My INDISPENSABLE backgrounds for the Eterm terminal :D
coyotl

Postby thwak » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Happy New Year to y'all.
Replace the rhetorical question with "whoosh... over my head. I'm lost, can't follow the train of thought."
Not intended as topic police, just a question blurted while I was engrossed in determining why coyotl had concluded that "Thunar could do it but not pcmanfm/spacefm"
thwak

Postby coyotl » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:27 am

Empirical data. Spacefm did something so that the images were no longer recognized as images, in pcmanfm didnt work. Should I investigate why..
coyotl

Postby thwak » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Earlier, I dived in to investigate b/c I found it hard to believe that spacefm LACKS features compared to pcmanfm.
If anything, spacefm overwhelms users by offering too many features.
(I have in fact read discussions betweem non-technical folk, like at 'dailywtf.com' forum, bemoaning its "too many features")

"Spacefm did something so that the images were no longer recognized as images"
Maybe a language/translation issue but I'm confused by that statement.

Grabbing at straws, I might guess that you don't realize that, for a given filetype, spacefm uses whatever "open with" handler has been set system-wide. Further guessing that you clicked on, say, an "xpm" image filename displayed in spacefm... and because no systemwide handler was yet assigned for that filetype (or mimetype), a gtk dialogbox popped up asking you to choose a handler... and you mistakenly chose a non-suitable opener AND the "always use this opener for this type" was checkmarked when you clicked "ok".

OTOH, maybe you accidentally unchecked the "show image thumbnails" setting in spacefm, or changed prefs causing "do not display thumbnails for images larger than {0 or other low number} bytes" to be enabled?

If you're experiencing a system-wide problem, to find/fix it might be helpful for you to sudo apt update && sudo apt-get install galternatives
then launch (as sudo/root) galternatives. Its gui shows which handler(s) are assigned for various filetypes & enable you to change the assignments.
thwak

Postby figlfdev » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:46 am

fwiw, im convinced that spacefm:

* has all the features of pcmanfm and more
* does some things better than pcmanfm
* does some things more reliably than pcmanfm now does (for whatever reason.)

other than that, it does some things differently (the red color instead of pcmanfms more attractive root warning-- which you can turn off, at least) and the fonts are different. ive tried to style the desktop exactly like the pcmanfm one.

in short, if refracta ever includes spacefm i will definitely keep it in my derivative. i dont consider it 100% replacement for pcmanfm... more like 95-98% replacement (for most cases.) its pretty good to say the least.
figlfdev

Postby thwak » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:12 pm

the fonts are different
package "spacefm" in jessie is built to use gtk2 themes.
If you are wedded to a particular xfwm4 theme which supports gtk3 only, try removing the "spacefm" package and install the built-for-gtk3 package "spacefm-gtk3" instead.
thwak

Previous

Return to How-to