Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Refracta installer and snapshot used on other distros

Stuff that has not yet gone into the official build.

Re: Refracta installer and snapshot used on other distros

Postby AlexRey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:21 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_distribution

As you can see many people have different interpretation of rolling even amongst the distributors.

But as outlined in my posts , rolling as in install once instead of fixed point ISO releases and stable updates as opposed to the unstable development branch.
AlexRey

Postby miyolinux » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:11 pm

The only distribution that I know of which claims to be both Stable-based and rolling is SolydXK.
miyolinux

Postby miyolinux » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:49 am

Also, and perhaps this may be pushing it a little, but my personal view is that "in a sense", many parent distros could loosely be considered a rolling release. I've safely upgraded LTS distros in the past. I upgraded Lubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and upgraded Debian 7 to Debian 8. That's one of Debian's proclaimed selling points...that you don't have to ever reinstall; just upgrade. With that said, my hope is that like Debian, Devuan will also safely and easily upgrade when Ascii becomes stable...and since Refracta uses Devuan repos, it will hopefully follow suit.
miyolinux

Postby AlexRey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 am

Manjaro is supposed to be a really nice stable rolling release but being based on Arch i'm not sure Refracta tools would work?

I agree that a rolling version of Refracta Devuan would be nice though when i tried the current version it wouldn't boot at the correct resolution on any of my screens and was just a fuzzy mess that i couldn't read.
AlexRey

Postby miyolinux » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:21 pm

I should probably wait for fsmithred or someone else to respond...but it sounds as though you need to add contrib and non-free to your sources.list and then install firmware-linux-nonfree.
miyolinux

Postby AlexRey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:38 am

I'm surprised no one else has said anything before as it was the same on all 3 of my computers so i can't be the only one.

I've never had it before with any other linux distribution and those that have booted at a lower resolution were still readable but Refracta Devuan is like looking at a 3d screen without the glasses, all garbled with a double broken outline.
AlexRey

Postby anticapitalista » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:36 pm

I though that was the default wallpaper look.
anticapitalista

Postby fsmithred » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Please start a separate thread in the Help section for the video problem.

A rolling refracta would require teams of people to test the stability of new versions of software to determine what's stable enough for use or not. Otherwise, it would not be any more stable than devuan (or debian) testing. And anyone can easily switch to testing. Come to think of it, discussion of rolling releases should really have been in its own thread, too. Makes it easier to find.
fsmithred

Postby golinux » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Screenshots are always helpful
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby AlexRey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 am

fsmithred wrote:Please start a separate thread in the Help section for the video problem.

No need as i seem to be the only one with the problem and i've decided to stick with the Cinnamon desktop as that looks the best on 1080p and above and i have very little spare time these days to keep swapping between distros.

I'll try Refracta Devuan again in the future if it becomes official and i have more free time.

Thanks
AlexRey

Previous

Return to Experimental