Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Experience with TaxAct software?

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

Experience with TaxAct software?

Postby miyolinux » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Just wondering if any users from the USA have tried using TaxAct to do their taxes. I used it last year to do my daughter's taxes, but it was just the EZ forms...so it was free and simple. As a family, we claim deductions, homeowner, and my wife has a small business...so we have to use the higher-priced options.

I've used TurboTax and H&R Block in the past. TurboTax is the easiest to use, but it's the most expensive. I've had no problems using H&R Block, but it's not as user-friendly as TurboTax...but...it is less expensive. :) For that reason, I use it instead of TurboTax.

TaxAct is even less expensive, but I'm wondering if anyone has any first-hand knowledge with using it. I've looked at online comparisons, but I would appreciate anyone's input if they've used it.

Thanks!
miyolinux

Re: Experience with TaxAct software?

Postby miyolinux » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:19 am

Okay...just finished doing our taxes with TaxAct. My wife asked about it on her Travel Agency's Facebook page, and several people gave it rave reviews...so...I went ahead with it.

For anyone interested...

I wouldn't personally recommend TaxAct unless you're a stickler for details; which means, paying EXTREMELY close attention to "options" rather than being asked specific questions (like TurboTax and H&R Block does) to complete the different steps.

Compared to TurboTax and even H&R Block, it's EXTREMELY easy to miss deductions and even pertinent information that's required. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to fill out our taxes with TaxAct; whereas, TurboTax and H&R Block took roughly 1 1/2 hours...give or take. I had to keep going back and filling in information that I missed. Plus, it asked me for information at one point, then when I got ready to e-file, I had to enter the same information with even more detail...too much to explain!

Now, I'm basing this off of past experiences with both TurboTax and H&R Block, so there could be some changes in both of them that I'm unaware of.

Total finished cost was $70. Not enough savings for the problems I ran into...but that's me.

They asked for a rating of 1 - 10 as to whether I'd recommend it to others...I gave it a 5.
miyolinux

Postby nixer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:32 am

I use TaxCut (H&R Block) and have used it for over 15 years. It costs a little, but there are some coupons offering discounts on some sites on the internet. I register the software in my name each year and they will send me discounts for online downloads the following year. I end up saving about 50% from the retail price.

About three years ago I wondered about the differences of TaxCut and TurboTax, so I did one year of taxes with both programs. Each came to the same amount, down to the penny. To me, they were about the same, but since I was already comfortable using TaxCut, I just kept on using it. For what it is worth, my taxes are fairly simple, but I consider the level of complication to be medium. The "interview" process makes it pretty easy.

I have never used TaxAct, and may never try it. I am comfortable using a higher quality product, even with some expense involved. I don't want any problems with the IRS, and getting my taxes done correctly the first time is important.
nixer

Postby golinux » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 am

My approach . . . don't have enough income to pay taxes!
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby miyolinux » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:22 am

nixer wrote:I have never used TaxAct, and may never try it. I am comfortable using a higher quality product, even with some expense involved. I don't want any problems with the IRS, and getting my taxes done correctly the first time is important.

That's another thing about TaxAct; whereas, TurboTax and H&R Block offer free audit protection, TaxAct doesn't. That's another $50 you'd have to fork out, and it's only available for the Premium version (I think). I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't pay for the audit protection...hope we're not audited later on.

golinux wrote:My approach . . . don't have enough income to pay taxes!

I bow to you! :D
miyolinux

Return to General Nonsense