Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Linux Mint 18?

Ask your questions here.

Re: Linux Mint 18?

Postby golinux » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Have you tried with another debian-based OS like refracta8 or the unofficial-devuan-live? That would eliminate whether it's a mint bug.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby AlexRey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:31 pm

I'll give it a go but i'm pretty sure it could be a path problem.

sda = windows disk

sdb = ntf storage

sdc = Linux install

sdd = Usb Stick

When i boot the snapshot ( sdd and sdc ) swap places so i don't know if certain software paths retained in the snapshot are causing the collision or if it's a grub thing as it's odd that both drives are crunching away and cross talking.
AlexRey

Postby dzz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:18 am

worth checking.. a "/live" directory on another partition root, with a squashfs, vmlinuz or initrd.whatever could cause a conflict. I don't actually know anything about mint beyond looking at and dismissing it's display manager (too many deps).
dzz

Postby AlexRey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks both , not sure how to proceed with this at the moment as it seems from searching google i'm not the only one that has had cross talking between drives from Linux.

Example of writing to wrong disk because of /dev/ device path changing:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1220395

People have solved it by hard editing the fstab or adding mount lines to the rclocal but how the hell i fix this for a live disk i have no idea , a bit beyond a point and click newbie like me.
AlexRey

Postby FOSSuser » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:00 am

Not having read the whole of this thread, it looks like you are having problems with the way Linux finds & mounts disks. Linux will mount disks as it finds them on start up. If you remove a disk, the disk order may change. That is why, if you use external disks on a regular basis, you should use its disk ID, & not the Linux designation of drive number. Hope that helps. :)
FOSSuser

Postby AlexRey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks , nothing to report yet as i've not been in the mood to fight with it.
AlexRey

Postby AlexRey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:24 am

The next version of Mint is changing over to LightDM and the next version of Ubuntu is moving over to GDM as the desktop login so i don't know if this will cause an issue with refracta tools?
AlexRey

Postby fsmithred » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 am

Lightdm should not be a problem. That's what we use in Refracta. You'll even be able to use refracta-lang to easily select locale and keyboard for a live session at the boot menu. (package is at sourceforge site)

It's been a few years since I've tried gdm3, so I guess it depends on what horrors the gnome team has come up with for it. The only potential problem is the way it handles auto-login. If that has changed, I need to know about it so I can adjust the scripts.
fsmithred

Postby AlexRey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks fsmithred

Ubuntu's change is Months away as they are still working on GDM such as trying to add a Guest account so i assume it will not be standard but there are very little details at the moment.

Here is what is known so far.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/ubun ... n-disabled
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/06/ubun ... ightdm-gdm
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/06/09/ ... une-9-2017
AlexRey

Postby fsmithred » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Do you happen to know when they stopped calling it gdm3 and started calling it gdm? Refracta tools still support the old gdm. I can't support two different display managers that have the same name. I can (and may need to) support the same display manager with two names.
fsmithred

PreviousNext

Return to Help