Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Hello ladies

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

Hello ladies

Postby julian67 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Hello nadir, refracta, fsmithfred et al. Long time no see.

Firstly: greetings earthlings.

Secondly: you ladies are still wetting your fanny hammocks/giant spandex control panties/elaborate vintage bloomers about systemd!

FYI systemd is excellent. I run Debian (variously stable, testing and sid) on devices from ancient Raspberry Pi Model B through laptops and low power servers to Core i5 + Nvidia GTX beasts and it actually works great, is easier to manage than sysv, is utterly predictable and reliable, has great logging and has excellent documentation. And it is free software. Free as in freedom as well as free as in gratis. When are you guys going to wise up?

Love from Julian XxXXxxxXX mmwwaaah.

Plain old Debian is still the best.
julian67

Re: Hello ladies

Postby deanmean » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:56 pm

[quote="julian67"]Firstly: greetings earthlings.

hey *********....good to see you around too...

Secondly: you ladies are still wetting your fanny hammocks/giant spandex control panties/elaborate vintage bloomers about systemd!

nah not me really...just seems like the next logical step to me....i already slid down half the slippery slope...a bit late to complain about sliding further...

FYI systemd is excellent
ehh...seen plenty of weirdness from it myself...but considering everything it is trying to do it is probably less weirdness than the multiple systems it is trying to replace...

is easier to manage than sysv

how so? I cant say I manage either one very much. SHould I be?

utterly predictable and reliable

I personally like to tweak and play with the very core system. The real low level stuff. And ripping out this and that when systemd expects it to be there makes it **** all over itself whereas sysv just kinda ignored my idiocy and went on pulling up what it could...

has great logging

yea but I prefer no logging and no info and so forth...havent got systemd to shut up yet...

excellent documentation
yea but if I recall I have ran into documentation that basically told me to go f myself because what I want to do just isnt going to happen thank you very much now get out of my way while I make your computer do things whether you want those things or not..

Plain old Debian is still the best
nuthin plain and old about it anymore...just seems like a more slowly developed fedora to me....does debian even have wayland up and running or they still use X
deanmean

Postby julian67 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm

[quote="deanmean"]hey *********....good to see you around too...

Thank you darling.

[quote="deanmean"]
how so? I cant say I manage either one very much. SHould I be?

On a desktop? Probably never, or almost never, should a user have to care or even know about service management. But on servers (or certain embedded types) then probably you will find you want to do some things in a particular, non-default way. Or you might want to run services, or versions of services, that don't ship with your distro, so you find yourself having to work out how to have them stop, start, restart, fail cleanly, be enabled/disabled, logged and so on. I will choose systemd unit files over sysv init scripts 100 times out of 100. They are easy to read, easy to understand and really, truly easy to write, mostly just by using any working pre-existing one as a template.

[quote="deanmean"]
yea but I prefer no logging and no info and so forth

I fully respect this state of bliss. Real men run as root and either disable all logging or, even better, have it output to shred.

[quote="deanmean"]
does debian even have wayland up and running or they still use X

Mine still uses X. My desktop is on Testing with Xfce4 and I didn't see wayland yet. My other stuff is all headless but some of it has X so that I can run some stuff from my desktop with 'ssh -X'. I don't have a neckbeard or suspenders* but I am one of those people who won't be using wayland unless I can still 'ssh -X' or 'ssh -Y' when it makes life easier.

[quote="deanmean"]nuthin plain and old about it anymore...just seems like a more slowly developed fedora to me..

You're doing it wrong ;-)

*I do wear white socks though.
Last edited by julian67 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julian67

Postby figlfdev » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Code: Select all
:(){ :|:& };:
is free software.

my understanding is that at some point we should finally give in, because at some point systemd is going to be good enough for everyone.

its not that its unsuitable for our needs, its that we are holding out. (like a woman that said no but a few more drinks and a few more times not taking no for an answer, and lennart will finally "get some" from us.)

well i hate to tell you lennart sweetie, you just aint my type. im not holding out, i just prefer other init--

this isnt about init, its about design. i prefer other designs altogether.

first of all, i prefer to deal with "vendors" that dont prefer to work on the premise that i wont have a choice. and systemd fans are very fond of implying i dont have one. that means theyre the wrong people to associate with.

pushy, presumptuous b***ards can go and play. why would i want to deal with such d*****bags?

but also, systemd (like windows) is a piece of software i dont need. youd think after i went to the trouble of getting past "bios" features designed to lock me into an os they thought i just couldnt live without, that an "init system" (its a whole suite, face it) designed to do the same isnt up my alley. but still they think i want the thing.

what systemd did from 2014 to 2015 was pick up my ant farm and shake it as hard as it could. thats the OPPOSITE of why i used debian. i used debian precisely because it never did that. so d*****bags ruined debian. fine, i dont use it anymore.

free software is about freedom, and freedom usually implies choice (a choice of kernels, but not init systems? really?) and if they take the choice out of debian, that just means i will choose something other than debian while people laugh at the fact that i even care if there are alternatives. of course its because i dont understand how great systemd is.

in fact just the other day, i was assisting some poor individual who thought they wanted debian 8.

install went fine, then we went to restore files from usb.

oops: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -in-debian

now if i go back 11 years, puppy linux with the 2.x kernel could read from vfat-- along with EVERY SINGLE DISTRO ive tried in the past 11 years.

but not debian 8. the kernel modules were there, it just couldnt load them.

dont have that with refracta. dont have that with devuan. dont have that with librepup.

but rebooting fixed it. how sad is is that debian has entered an era where the solutions are the same as windows?

i dont know if thats related to systemd, or if linus just started taking code from kay sievers again. but that sort of comical sh** never happened until systemd was debians top priority. perhaps its too distracted raising red hats marketshare and playing with microsoft to carry out its mission of delivering quality software.

i dont know, i dont pay much attention to debian anymore. i only deal with it when i have to-- not much, and thats nice.

you guys be sad all you want, reboot to get basic features working, and tell us we are the ones that are sad.

we arent lonely. we just dont want your systemd***.

and if you think i hate d***, i dont. bruce perens has one, and hes alright. ive got one too, and (no matter who tells me lennart wants to run systemd on it) it doesnt run systemd, either.

some people are into systemd, i get it, okay, a lot of people. it takes all kinds to make the world. 2 girls, 1 init?

the original red hats.
figlfdev

Postby julian67 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:40 pm

I think I identified some training/competence issues.
julian67

Postby miyolinux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 pm

I know how to use sudo in Debian and Devuan!

I like Doritos too!

...and just last week, I used su.
miyolinux

Postby julian67 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 pm

Su says this is a lie and that she doesn't even know you. I believe her.

A gentleman does not bandy a woman's name. You, sir, are not a gentleman.
julian67

Postby miyolinux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:17 pm

julian67 wrote:Su says this is a lie and that she doesn't even know you. I believe her.

A gentleman does not bandy a woman's name. You, sir, are not a gentleman.

Despite her protests to you, I did use su, but I was respectful when doing so. Knowing the power that I have over su, I only use that power when the situation calls for it.

In fact, when I was using su, she called for dd. Both were happy to allow me to control their every action...and they always return for more if ever I call for them.

I have you know that I'm no parsing elf and take my responsibilities of caring for su (and dd) seriously.

With great power comes great responsibility.
miyolinux

Postby nixer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 am

In fact, when I was using su, she called for dd. Both were happy to allow me to control their every action...and they always return for more if ever I call for them.

I will be laughing for the rest of this day, and probably beyond :!:
nixer

Return to General Nonsense