Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A question about 32bit Google Chrome

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

A question about 32bit Google Chrome

Postby miyolinux » Wed May 10, 2017 1:58 am

Hi everyone; I hope you're all doing well!

I have a question that may draw some criticism, ridicule, and the general throwing of rocks at me for my stupidity...but here goes... :lol:

My wife uses our old 32bit laptop to watch Netflix and Amazon videos. The 32bit Firefox has stopped playing them for some reason, and I can't figure out why. For information, I use the regular version of Firefox for this since the ESR version doesn't yet offer DRM content.

So...

I did some internet searching and found (what I believe to be) the last release of the 32bit version of Google Chrome. I threw caution to the wind...downloaded it and installed it. It plays both Netflix and Amazon perfectly.

So...

I made apps for both of them so that they would open in their own window. I then added "NoDisplay=true" to Google Chrome in /usr/share/applications so that the Chrome browser isn't "available" for my wife to use for browsing. All that can she can do with Chrome is watch either Netflix or Amazon.

That's basically all that computer is used for...but...am I playing with fire? :oops:

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with 32bit Firefox lately? 64 bit Firefox still plays both perfectly on our 64bit machines...

Thanks...and I'm now prepared for the onslaught! :lol:
miyolinux

Re: A question about 32bit Google Chrome

Postby curtvaughan » Wed May 10, 2017 9:16 pm

It would appear that the main drawback to continued use of 32-bit Chrome is that you will no longer get security updates. It is just getting really difficult, the last couple of years, to find 32-bit full featured browsers for secure streaming and the like. I ran into this with an old MacBook Pro (1,1) c. 2006 that I keep around because it still works and I'm nostalgic about old hardware that was once top-of-the-line. It, alas, is 32 bit. I'm dual booting it with both an old Snow Leopard OSX and Mint 17. I found an old 32-bit Firefox for Mac that I can stream Netflix on. Though I get pretty good software support with Mint 32-bit repositories, I've yet to find a browser that will stream efficiently on that platform. Here's a link with 32-bit Chrome info:

https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php
curtvaughan

Postby miyolinux » Thu May 11, 2017 12:44 am

Thanks curtvaughan...I appreciate the input and the link. I didn't see that when I was searching. Slimjet is a good browser...I'd almost forgotten about it!

One thing I noticed though that now has me a little concerned is the version on the Slimjet site isn't the same as the one I installed...

Slimjet's version - 48.0.2564.109

The version I used - 48.0.2564.116-1

I scanned the version that I downloaded with everything I could scan it with, and nothing malicious was found. Hopefully, 32 bit Firefox will start working for me again soon...

Thanks again!
miyolinux

Postby golinux » Thu May 11, 2017 1:26 am

@miyolinux . . . 32 bit FF works for me just fine,
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby miyolinux » Thu May 11, 2017 1:14 pm

golinux wrote:@miyolinux . . . 32 bit FF works for me just fine,

Okay. I'll try it again when I get home this evening. Thank you ma'am. :)
miyolinux

Postby miyolinux » Fri May 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Still not working. I've tried everything. I even made a new partition on the laptop and installed Xubuntu 32bit on it just to see if it would play Amazon/Netflix...it wouldn't work either.

Not sure what the problem is.

I give up. :lol:
miyolinux

Return to General Nonsense