Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Proto-Refracta Jessie with sysvinit

For general announcements.

Re: Proto-Refracta Jessie with sysvinit

Postby golinux » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks all. Just for giggles, I wanted to run that command on my Squeeze install, not Refracta. Sometimes I can be a little slow because I'm not much of a tinkerer with such things. Your patience is appreciated . . .
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby dzz » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Most likely I made my own package list in ~ before posting that. I don't remember. The original is actually in a dir on the iso root.

And yes, that's a useless use of cat (although it works). Sometimes I automatically use easily recognisable (for me) "patterns" in bash without stopping to consider simpler ways.

Apologies for any confusion. And no, this iso does not have any systemd components (except udev)
dzz

Postby nadir » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:00 am

locate is useful on a distro you know.
It is more than just useful on a distro/OS you don't know (i think you wrote about wanting to use BSD ones. Finding stuff there is not easy, in the beginning. locate will help).
Once of-topic anyway: The command "apropos" is a good one too, if you are new to a distro, searching for a command to do something. Say:
apropos mount
might give me a clue how to mount USB-sticks on kFreeBSD
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby golinux » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:39 am

From IRC:
<[TheFlash]> anyway, jessie with xorg + openbox works fine with no systemd i will use that to build devuan packages :)

Sound familiar? You paved the way!!
golinux

Postby thwak » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Which IRC channel? Is an archived log available?
thwak

Postby golinux » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:52 pm

thwak wrote:Which IRC channel? Is an archived log available?

There are two on freenode - #debianfork and #devuan. Can't remember which one had that quote. Don't know about log availability. I'm keeping up with them off and on in real time.
golinux

Postby fsmithred » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:37 am

Should I update the jessie-sysv iso? Since that one was made, there's a newer kernel, newer version of refractasnapshot and a couple more package versions held back. Same question applies for the original jessV-nox iso.
fsmithred

Postby dzz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:48 am

Yes please! Testing/sid gets less useful as it gets outdated.. but watch out for the util-linux? bug

I'm finding the nox version particularly useful for testing and it's an excellent base to build a custom system from.

Note some 3.2 kernel stuff and xfce remnants need stripping out.
dzz

Postby fsmithred » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:38 am

If the xfce stuff you're talking about is in the boot messages, it's from live-config. I don't know why, but the xfce script tries to do something. There was never any xfce installed on that system.

OK, updated builds coming soon...
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Just uploaded an updated jessie-sysv iso to sourceforge. There's a zsync file. I can post instructions on using it later tonight.

I also included a link in the release notes pointing to dzz's repackaged packages, in case anyone wants to try those.

Current pinning:
Code: Select all
Package: *systemd*
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: dbus
Pin: version 1.5.8*,a=wheezy
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: libpulse0
Pin: version 2.0-6*
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: bsdutils