Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Proto-Refracta Jessie with sysvinit

For general announcements.

Re: Proto-Refracta Jessie with sysvinit

Postby mean_dean » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:59 am

fsmithred wrote:refracted_jessie_sysv-20141203_1737.iso

nice little systemd free debian spin!

Not as warm and fuzzy as the xfce versions though.

That file manager hurts my brain.

I don't care for the black panel. Switch the panel to use the system theme and adjust the size a bit and I am good to go.

Not a big fan of openbox but choices are a bit lacking nowadays so I proclaim it to be good enough

Good work.

I think I got a couple errors thrown when I installed. I am not sure if that matters to you at this point but I thought I would mention it. I chose to NOT install the bootloader and I think the errors were after the rsync so it may of been related to that.

Thanks for the work!
Last edited by mean_dean on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mean_dean

Postby golinux » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:21 pm

mean_dean wrote:
fsmithred wrote:refracted_jessie_sysv-20141203_1737.iso
Not as warm and fuzzy as the xfce versions though.

After you signed off IRC last night, nextime announced that xfce will be the default DE for Devuan. Made me very happy. We’ll see if that comes to pass . . .
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby mean_dean » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:00 pm

I still have some reservations about devuan but I hope for the best. Then again I don't expect I will ever use it as my distro but would love it if they manage to provide a package repo with packages configured to not require systemd unless absolutely required. In my opinion that is the important part of the project...and the one requiring the most work.
mean_dean

Postby fsmithred » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:09 pm

The black panel is too dark to see the speaker icon (next to the network icon). The system theme makes the speaker visible and the time almost invisible. I haven't tried to change it to an intermediate color - not wanting to spend a whole lot of time tweaking the desktop.

What don't you like about the file manager? I'm not fond of the tree-view side panel. And I haven't figured out how to add tools or plugins. Well, that's not entirely true - I could add the first tool, but now I can't add more. I do like that it's fast compared to thunar.

xfce for devuan is a good choice. (a biased opinion)

would love it if they manage to provide a package repo with packages configured to not require systemd unless absolutely required. In my opinion that is the important part of the project...and the one requiring the most work.
I agree.
fsmithred

Postby mean_dean » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:29 pm

The system theme makes the speaker visible and the time almost invisible
yea uncheck the font color box when you switch to system theme and that should fix the invisible clock

What don't you like about the file manager? I'm not fond of the tree-view side panel. And I haven't figured out how to add tools or plugins. Well, that's not entirely true - I could add the first tool, but now I can't add more. I do like that it's fast compared to thunar.

It is probably a fine choice and I am being bitchy. Just seems too busy or something and yet it still doesn't seem to be very automagical regarding accessing my partitions and so forth. Maybe just too many things to click on and play with....and none really seem that useful or helpful maybe?

Anything in particular you want users to test or play with?

Do you plan something like this to be the default refracta release or is this just something extra?
mean_dean

Postby fsmithred » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:50 pm

mean_dean wrote:It is probably a fine choice and I am being bitchy. Just seems too busy or something and yet it still doesn't seem to be very automagical regarding accessing my partitions and so forth. Maybe just too many things to click on and play with....and none really seem that useful or helpful maybe?

You can turn off the side panels with the buttons that are just above them. I agree that it's too busy, and I really haven't figured it out yet. Just tried moving a file to a different directory today - just drag it from the main window to the appropriate folder in the tree view.

Anything in particular you want users to test or play with?

Do you plan something like this to be the default refracta release or is this just something extra?

Play with any of it and see if it breaks when the next round of updates come through (or any subsequent), or add some of dzz's (or anyone else's) repackaged packages, and see if those break.

As for the last question, I still don't know the answer to that. Earlier in the year, I was thinking that the official release would have both sysvinit and systemd. I've got a sid installation with that, and it was fine up until recently - I can no longer boot it with sysvinit. Haven't investigated to see what the problem is.

I've thought about having two official versions, one V and one D. I've also thought about having no official versions, just a bunch of unofficial versions, maybe concocted by different people, and I've thought about having just a minimal version with the tools to make your own. My feeling is that the tools are the most important thing, because no two people want the exact same setup.
fsmithred

Postby mean_dean » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm

I really haven't figured it out yet.
Yea that is probably my problem too. But I find myself clicking on everything and still not quite getting what I want. But it probably is just learning it and getting it configured the way I want it....if I even know what I want.

Play with any of it and see if it breaks when the next round of updates come through (or any subsequent), or add some of dzz's (or anyone else's) repackaged packages, and see if those break.
Not sure how long before I get bored and wipe it but I can certainly play with it for a bit.

As for the last question, I still don't know the answer to that. Earlier in the year, I was thinking that the official release would have both sysvinit and systemd. I've got a sid installation with that, and it was fine up until recently - I can no longer boot it with sysvinit. Haven't investigated to see what the problem is.

Yea, I guess the smart approach is to not commit to anything until you see how everything shakes out and what is possible.

I've also thought about having no official versions, just a bunch of unofficial versions, maybe concocted by different people, and I've thought about having just a minimal version with the tools to make your own. My feeling is that the tools are the most important thing, because no two people want the exact same setup
Yea lol, I think I mentioned all those same things to you in the past.I never could decide. I recall you mentioning that you liked having a rolled iso ready to go when I talked about just dropping the respin and instead just focusing on the tools. I guess it really comes down to doing whatever you want to do as you are doing the work. I just could never decide what I actually wanted to do, or should I say that what I wanted to do seemed to change each week.
Ahhh...good times...good times...
mean_dean

Postby nadir » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

I just could never decide what I actually wanted to do, or should I say that what I wanted to do seemed to change each week.

Each week?
Three times a day ...

-
Play with any of it and see if it breaks when the next round of updates come through (or any subsequent), or add some of dzz's (or anyone else's) repackaged packages, and see if those break

Works here, but i barely boot Debian these days ( or refracta as a Debian distribution ). As soon an upgrade will break i will post it.

minimal with the tools as the official version sounds good to me (wether sysv or systemd: i don't care, but sure prefer sysv), as long there are bigger versions too. Not sure why that sounds good to me. Gotta say that i like the configuration of openbox, or rather the mixture openbox + lxpanel.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby fsmithred » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:43 pm

I started this thread for bug reports:
jessie-sysv-bugs-t453.html
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:43 pm

jessV_amd64_nox iso is in the testing folder at sourceforge
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... s/testing/

Merry Christmas!