Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Proto-Refracta Jessie with sysvinit

For general announcements.

Proto-Refracta Jessie with sysvinit

Postby fsmithred » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Here's a sample release. Take it out for a test drive, and see what you can (or can't) do with it. Lots of apps are still missing compared to previous versions. Well, the menus are shorter, anyway. There's a lot here.

Edit: updated iso, and a zsync file:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... 3_1737.iso
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... .iso.zsync

Updated No-X iso and zsync file:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... 4_0349.iso
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... .iso.zsync

How to use zsync to download a newer iso file:
using-zsync-to-download-a-newer-iso-file-t451.html

The non-gui version started as a standard install of wheezy, then pinned "*systemd*", then dist-upgraded to jessie. In this updated iso (Dec. 4) other things are pinned and/or held. See below.

For the gui version:
Started with the jessV-nox iso, added openbox, lxpanel, lxterminal, spacefm and a few other things. Newest installer, snapshot and refracta2usb all without the need for gksu. Pinned *systemd*, older dbus, libpulse0, previous current bsdutils (just before systemd dep.)

I didn't install cups - this one has lprng, which I still haven't tried with my printer.
MPlayer IS installed, but it's not in the menu. Learn the keyboard command, 'cause there's no dashboard. Select video files from the file manager. Or install vlc.

No flash, no contrib, no non-free.

etc/apt/preferences.d/00pinsystemd
dbus and libpulse0 are pinned and held to wheezy versions.
bsdutils and util-linux are pinned and held to older jessie versions.
Code: Select all
Package: *systemd*
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: dbus
Pin: version 1.5.8*,a=wheezy
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: libpulse0
Pin: version 2.0-6*

Package: bsdutils
Pin: version 1:2.20*

Package: util-linux*
Pin: version 2.20*
fsmithred

Re: Proto-Refracta Jessie with sysvinit

Postby kelsoo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks. Downloading now.
I'll install on a spare machine and add linux-libre are per-norm ( for me any how ) and let you know if anything breaks :mrgreen:
kelsoo

Postby dzz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks. Downloading now.

+1.. Thanks fsr.

jessV-nox iso is already in use here as a base.

So much to do though. I'm working mostly with TDE just now (because it has needed apps and except for dbus does not require systemd to function mostly normal). Been curious about openbox for a while, maybe this is a good opportunity. Hoping also this setup can work without gtk3.
dzz

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:34 am

Is it just the init system that's switched out? Or are are all the systemd libs gone too?
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby dzz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:52 am

:~$ cat package_list | grep systemd
:~$
dzz

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:31 am

dzz wrote:
:~$ cat package_list | grep systemd
:~$

FANTASTICO!!
golinux

Postby golinux » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 am

I just took it for a spin. Nice to see the Refracta wallpaper that I did a while back. :) Great that it's systemd-free. Congrats on that! Here are a few things I ran across during my short exploration.

RH side of the opening menu is cut off after parenthesis + first two letters of the option description. Might be because this monitor is pretty small . . . maybe 17in.

Seemed really slow to load. First outing with a new sata cd/dvd on the new motherboard. Will try another live disk to compare (but not tonight). Audio file wouldn't play - got an alsa error (forgot to bring up the alsamixer to investigate further).

Open box was a challenge until I started to remember how it worked. I miss the auto mounting of drives which fstab entries would probably fix. Would need to build a panel and otherwise have to learn how to do a LOT of customization before it would be ready as a primary system.

Thanks so much for blazing a trail to the new Debian world. :)
golinux

Postby thwak » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:16 pm

zero bugs found, so here's a few quick notes:

I was surprised to see that it ships with extra kernel 3.2.0-4
What that a particularly good vintage?

lxpanel is installed... but it is not autostarted

etc/updatedb.conf prunepaths does not exclude /lib/live

20Mb "iso-codes" package is installed yet has no dependants.
thwak

Postby fleabus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Thank you so much for your work on this, fsmithred, dzz, et. al., I only just found out (thanks golinux! :) ) I'm so glad to see that this issue has generated this much interest. I'm downloading now, I'll let you know how it goes.

@dzz, been playing with TDE on exe, q4os. Just a few days now, only scratched the surface with those two installs, very interesting, really like it so far.
Last edited by fleabus on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fleabus

Postby fleabus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Running from ram to start, posting from it now. Really nice, I like this! Ya done good, folks. The panel is there, autostarted fine, I moved it to the bottom. The song and the cartoon played just fine, thanks for those! :). Iceweasel saved my preferences fine, I added adblock edge. Thanks for including noscript, that was thoughtful of you.. Playing some more, will do a metal install (I don't VB here). I'll get back to you soon. Thank you again!

Edit: I went ahead and ran the install from the toram session and it's running fine. I should add that my machines are all older stuff, no EFI. Refracta went onto a spare partition, plays very well with others skipping the grub install... Will try installing a few things, getting used to Openbox again, it's been a while. Early times, so far very smooth, no surprises. Turned off the machine from the live session, on the metal I was able to ctrl-alt-f2 and reboot. Alsa working ok, no problem setting up my external monitor, basic config stuff is fine. Great work fsmithred (& co.?), again, thank you so much for your sysd-free efforts... :mrgreen: 8-)

Hardware link in the signature, specs of my main test machine. 2009, newest thing I have...
Last edited by fleabus on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:53 am, edited 8 times in total.
fleabus

Next

Return to Announcements