Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Refracta 7.0 (Wheezy) released

For general announcements.

Refracta 7.0 (Wheezy) released

Postby fsmithred » Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Refracta 7.0 (Debian Wheezy) has been released. You can download it from the sourceforge site or you can use zsync if you have one of the beta isos.

refracta at sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/

zsync instructions:
Change to the directory that contains the old (beta) iso and run this command.
Code: Select all
zsync -i refracta-wheezy-<old-version-in-your-current-directory>.iso http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/refracta/isohybrid/refracta_7.0-20130513_0240.iso.zsync
fsmithred

Re: Refracta 7.0 (Wheezy) released

Postby nadir » Tue May 14, 2013 5:18 pm

I downloaded it and will install it these days on hardware. You probably won't hear anything from me (as everything works like expected). If there is a special way to install (besides putting it on a stick), let me know (say encrypted).

I posted the link at diaspora.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby dzz » Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 am

Congrats! There are few if any available Wheezy live-images as good as this.

Much work and careful testing has gone into both the base system and the included "extras" to achieve this excellent result.. Thanks to all who contributed

For anyone who finds a "missing" feature.. snapshot is a mouse-click away..

A Refracta Wheezy base install has been my main OS for some time now without any problems. There is no need to reinstall, it is already up-to-date and customised exactly how I want it.

Refracta 7.0 will be used here on removables and additionally installed to track Jessie/Sid.

There is likely to be a wheezy "point release" in a month or two, hopefully an updated Refracta will follow then.
dzz

Postby meandean » Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 pm

I cant really find anything wrong. Looks good to me! Time to take over the world....
meandean

Postby nadir » Wed May 22, 2013 8:56 pm

I agree that nothing is wrong, and it's been like that for long.
I got two ideas, said both in IRC already, but anyway:
i think a minimal version would be an idea (truth it: probably most people are interested in the installer and the snapshot, in 2usb in the future too, but the environment and apps are just a nice shortcut to set it up, not a real problem for anyone)
i think a based on Debian testing version would be good.
iceweasel version on stable is a never ending annoyance (it works fine, but lots of siteds report it wouldn't work, then install it from debian.mozilla repo). Not sure if that isn't a good default anyway (or at least put it commented in sources list).

I install refracta a lot, then remove and install a few and am done. Usually in less than 10 minutes altogether. All the cli apps which are already there are a big help for me ("apt-get install git" -> already newest version. etc).
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby meandean » Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 am

maybe sid-fracta instead of test-fracta :)

Why don't you create a minimal version! I think you could really bang it out! C'mon nadir you know you want to...

I think repsit should probably die. I think it is probably more confusing rather than being helpful/useful. I had hopes for it but it just seems like a sore toe on a otherwise fine foot...not sure why it seems that way to me but it does.

It is amazing all the stuff that is shoved into the iso for the size it is.

The theme issues still seems to be suckage. Not what has been chosen for the theme but what is available and the whole gtk2/gtk3 mess. If kde4 was a little more sane I think I would be using it just to have consistency. That is sad..
meandean

Postby nadir » Thu May 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Nah, not my thing. I am busy with a few things (really busy). And LullySec shows me that keeping up to date with such a project is too much work for me.

fsmithred: You should make more bohai about the free-is-freedom part of it
(but then: Debian comes that way too, as long you don't choose expert. Otoh most based-on-debian distros are pretty freedeom-is-beer).
If i announce it somewhere i always forget to mention it, so it is rather my problem. But imho in these dark ages it is a big fat +.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby fsmithred » Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 am

I'm in the process of catching up the amd64 image, so it can be uploaded. I might even be done. Just waiting to see if I remember something else that needs to be done to it. And yes, there will be updates to the image from time to time, just to keep it current. (Well, I might sneak in some changes, too. Already did, in fact. )

A small jessie or jessie/sid version sounds like a good idea. Enough for a basic desktop and whatever is needed for refracta tools to work - sort of a do-it-yourself kit and a quick way to get a debian testing installation.

I would leave repsit in it, but maybe add a warning that says something like, "These are our choices for packages, but we haven't tested them with this version, and we don't even know for sure if the package names are still correct." And by the time jessie goes stable, we will probably have tested them all.

Dean, did you run into problems with repsit? I like it better since we overhauled it. But I only like it in theory - I haven't used it, even when it would have been appropriate. I forget that it's there.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the wheezy release, even if all you offered was an opinion. I think we did a really good job.
fsmithred

Postby meandean » Tue May 28, 2013 12:08 pm

fsmithred wrote:I'm in the process of catching up the amd64 image
coolbeans,I have been trying to remember to go 64bit for a long while and doing a bit better lately

Dean, did you run into problems with repsit? I like it better since we overhauled it. But I only like it in theory - I haven't used it, even when it would have been appropriate. I forget that it's there.

nah no problems. I used it but I still resorted to apt to rip out the other stuff I did not need. I suspect others will turn to apt or synaptic to remove stuff without even noticing it is there too. Now as far as installing stuff, maybe if we called it Refracta Recommended Applications Installer or Refracta Default Application Installer then that may make me think it fits in a bit more. At least fit in more in the mini version, if there is one.
meandean

Postby fsmithred » Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Well, now you can try the amd64 version. It's in the same folder at sf as the 32, and you should be able to zsync it. Uh, I had to relax the requirement for a 100mb or less desktop. It's kind of a hog and weighed in at around 160 with ps_mem.py the other day. :( But anyone using 64-bit probably has enough ram to cover it, so I'm not too worried about it.

A name change on repsit is a good idea. "Recommended Apps Installer" might fit ok in the menu.
fsmithred

Next

Return to Announcements