Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Refracta-8 (Jessie) based on Devuan

For general announcements.

Re: Refracta-8 (Jessie) based on Devuan

Postby dzz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:09 am

Here is a suggestion (0105-lightdm-autologin-timeout) to fix autologin failure which may be caused by autologin-user-timeout being set (by /lib/live/config/0100-lightdm) to 0 in lightdm.conf.

The recommended, clean way to customize live-config is to use custom additional scripts rather than modify existing ones and place them in /lib/live/config/ (like we did with 1065-refracta-lang). Better still, install them as a deb package (e.g live-config-refracta_xyz.deb). Note, the order of live-config scripts matters.

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh

## live-config(7) - System Configuration Scripts
## Copyright (C) 2006-2012 Daniel Baumann <[email protected]>
##
## This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see COPYING.
## This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
## under certain conditions; see COPYING for details.

## 0105-lightdm-autologin-timeout (additional custom live-config script)
## Set a timeout for lightdm to fix autologin failure

if [ -e /*etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ] && [ -e /var/lib/live/config/lightdm ]; then

# 0100-lightdm has already been executed and has set autologin-user-timeout=0
   # If this doesn't work try changing to 2 or even 3
   sed -i "s/autologin-user-timeout=0/autologin-user-timeout=1/" /*etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

# create a state file
   touch /var/lib/live/config/lightdm-autologin-timeout

# else do nothing
fi

Two places above, remove the "*" before "etc" (forum posting limitations)

Tested here by running as a hook, on unmodified refracta8_xfce_amd64_beta-20160402_0000.iso booted "findiso" from grub. Autologin works.
dzz

Postby fsmithred » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks!

Not tested yet, but I packaged it, and it installs.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/refracta/misc ... ologin.deb

I'll put refracta-lang in a package, too, unless you already have one. I've just been copying over the one file.
fsmithred

Postby dzz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Not tested yet, but I packaged it, and it installs.

In case you prefer both in one package (live-config-refracta) with source files as well I already did them http://exegnulinux.net/apt/pool/main/l/ ... -refracta/ Not lintian-checked and unsigned though.

If you want to take that over, just edit the changelog and whatever else then run dpkg-buildpackage on it. Or if you prefer you own method, I'll remove that to avoid any confusion.

I don't know if autologin delay of 1 is enough but it works here.
dzz

Postby fsmithred » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:01 pm

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... 2_1444.iso

Replaced gnome-mplayer with mpv
Added youtube-dl and firejail from backports, youtube-viewer from exegnu.
Xsceensaver starts disabled - no screensaver, but 'lock screen' works.
Added fig educational programming language.
Probably some other minor changes since last release.

No uefi support in 32-bit. When I decide what I'm going to do with the uefi installer, I'll release an updated 64-bit. I want to be done with jessie and move on to ascii. It probably won't be long before stretch goes into freeze.
fsmithred

Postby golinux » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Nice!
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby fsmithred » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:08 pm

The iso might be too big to fit on a CD. It shows as 710MB. I tried a dummy write to a CD in xfburn and didn't get any errors.

If anyone has trouble with the size, let me know, and I'll figure out something to remove. Possible candidates for removal are gdebi, gnumeric, and gkdebconf. I'm open to suggestions.
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:28 pm

Updated the amd64 iso. Like the i386 iso, this one might be too big, even after removing some packages.
Gone: gnumeric, meld, blueman,

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... 5_1116.iso

Unlike the i386 iso, this one will boot on uefi hardware. I had to do some tricks to get that to work, because of a catch 22: You must have grub-efi-amd64 installed to make the efi images, but you must not have grub-efi-amd64 installed to do an installation on bios hardware (grub-pc conflicts.)

It will do a normal install on bios hardware, same as it always has done.

There's no real uefi installer yet, but if you're brave, you can run /home/user/bin/refractainstaller-yad_test03 from a root terminal. Leave it set to not install the bootloader. The script will pause before grub-install, so you can do things manually. There's a quick-start guide to uefi install in the user's home directory. There's a link to good reading material in that guide.

Be confident and comfortable with doing things that could destroy your system before attempting this. (It's really not too bad, but I want you to remember that this is linux, and if you break it, you get to keep both halves. I assume no responsibility.)
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:00 pm

About that test installer: if you decide to try it, BE SURE TO SELECT EXPERT INSTALL.
The simple install won't work for uefi, and it may screw up your system.

I'm going to replace the amd64 iso with one that has a modified test script that doesn't have simple install as a choice and has "Do not install bootloader" pre-checked, so you can't forget it. That will go up later today.
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:35 pm

I got the iso size down. Remembered localepurge and looked up the thread from three years ago. For some reason, localepurge wouldn't do anything for me, so I removed un-configured locales with bleachbit. (after configuring the usual list of locales that I had forgotten to do.)

The test iso came out well under 700mb. Tell me what else I forgot or screwed up, and I can make a final release iso. I'll be sticking to the debian numbering, so the first "stable" jessie might be called 8.5.
fsmithred

Postby thwak » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:22 am

Tell me what else I forgot
Compared to reducing locale-related overhead during snapshotting, the workflow may be different for setting up a live build.

-- dpkg-reconfigure locales (decide which locales you wish to preserve)
-- apt install localepurge (but don't hold yer breath) (see commentary below)
-- bleachbit: delete "all except specified" locales files
-- sudo updatedb, then "mlocate zh" (fleshes out dirs housing missed-by-bleachbit translations files)

localepurge is "forward-looking". Upon its installation, it doesn't disturb previously-installed translation files.
It purges the translation files when new package installations (and upgrades) occur, via postinst hook.
thwak

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements