Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Refracta-8 (Jessie) based on Devuan

For general announcements.

Re: Refracta-8 (Jessie) based on Devuan

Postby fsmithred » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:38 am

I see what you mean - localepurge is now behaving after I removed and reinstalled locales. Only the selected locales installed. And I got a few more megabytes out by removing the zh cruft.
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:00 pm

More than two years in the making,
And less than two years late,
I'd like to announce,
Refracta-8.

So far, just the i386. The isohybrid folder is in use again.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... isohybrid/
refracta8_xfce_i386-20160913_1822.iso

Thanks to all who helped make it possible - dzz, nadir, golinux, all those who have reported bugs or made suggestions, and especially to the Devuan team for making it possible to have a fully functional desktop in jessie without systemd.
fsmithred

Postby figlfdev » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:31 am

fsmithred wrote:More than two years in the making,
And less than two years late,
I'd like to announce,
Refracta-8.

giant congrats on this, and on your distrowatch listing. already updated to use the new iso. love the kernel upgrade and the new size!

ive used a lot of live distros-- i used puppy, feather, dsl, tiny, slitaz, a ton of lightweight debians with many vintages of gnome and kde and other things-- i used a 100% free slax called "rms gnu/linux" once. ive used sugar on a stick and trisquel with sugar, from usb.

until refracta, i never had so much fun with a live distro as i did with puppy. and refracta is pretty solid and reliable so far-- at least as much as devuan. there are obvious self-serving reasons i could call refracta the best distro ever, but the fact is-- its the best live distro ive ever used. and i dont exactly love when a distro doesnt have a live version, so refracta and gnuinos are both doing devuan a huge favor. my experiences with gnuinos are very positive-- outshined only by refracta.

so truly: congrats. as for devuan, i know ive been complaining about it a lot lately, but i still dont go on a computer without some form of devuan. im well aware that refracta wouldnt be exactly the same without it. i dont use something like that for more than a year and a half unless its worth it.
figlfdev

Postby greenjeans » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:19 pm

figlfdev wrote:

ive used a lot of live distros-- i used puppy, feather, dsl, tiny, slitaz, a ton of lightweight debians with many vintages of gnome and kde and other things--

Me too, Puppy was fun, just got way too bloated for me, I think the last one I tried recently had like a couple hundred menu entries, I think I counted like 6 different text editors...I liked Slitaz quite a bit, it was fun.
figlfdev wrote: and i dont exactly love when a distro doesnt have a live version, so refracta and gnuinos are both doing devuan a huge favor.

Agree 110%, that's exactly what led me to Refracta, I almost didn't even install Devuan when I booted the CD the first time because there was no livecd option, glad I did though, and that's why i'm working on my little user-remasters, to give folks that option so they'll try it.

Ahh, my download is complete, off to try the new Refracta right now!
http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/opensource
Devuan-mate-minimal hybrid-iso, made with Refractasnapshot.
greenjeans

Previous

Return to Announcements