Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Refracta installer and snapshot used on other distros

Stuff that has not yet gone into the official build.

Re: Refracta installer and snapshot used on other distros

Postby fsmithred » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:19 am

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but maybe the three hidden files are showing up in the rsync list of files that got copied. They would get copied if they weren't in the home to begin with. They contain settings for the user on login. I was under the impression that they are necessary, but I don't know for sure.

One problem with copying user configs from skel is that some of the config files have "/home/username" in them. If the username is wrong, you get problems with the desktop. I haven't looked into that much, but maybe there's a place in etc/xdg to put stuff. (I know there is for some things.)

If you get rid of the debconf files, you may need to run dpkg-reconfigure on a bunch of packages.

You do need cryptsetup installed to create encrypted volumes.

The partitions you're on don't matter for building a uefi-ready iso. If you're building this on bios hardware, just install grub-efi-amd64 and grub-efi-amd64-bin. I don't think they'll be able to to a grub-install since you don't have an efi partiton. It will remove grub-pc, but that doesn't have to be permanent. You can build the iso when the efi packages are installed.

The beta version of refractasnapshot that handles uefi is set to puke if you don't have grub-efi installed, but I just added code to optionally override that. I need to be able to do that to make an iso that can be installed on uefi or bios.

You can reinstall grub-pc, and it will remove grub-efi-amd64, but not grub-efi-amd64-bin. That one can coexist, and it's needed for the iso to boot on uefi. And you can make a uefi-bootable iso after you've reinstalled grub-pc. Just keep a copy of the grub-efi .debs for when you install on uefi hardware. And you must use the version of refractasnapshot that I haven't packaged yet. Should be ready in a day or two.

Confused yet? I spent the better part of June and July doing uefi installs, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. Still haven't had the opportunity to do it on a windoze box.

We should make a new thread to talk about the uefi stuff, and maybe for the other stuff, too. I'll post something about the new snapshotter when it's done.
fsmithred

Postby greenjeans » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:48 pm

fsmithred wrote:I'm not sure what you're seeing, but maybe the three hidden files are showing up in the rsync list of files that got copied. They would get copied if they weren't in the home to begin with. They contain settings for the user on login. I was under the impression that they are necessary, but I don't know for sure.

One problem with copying user configs from skel is that some of the config files have "/home/username" in them. If the username is wrong, you get problems with the desktop. I haven't looked into that much, but maybe there's a place in etc/xdg to put stuff. (I know there is for some things.)

I used to have it down to just the files necessary to keep custom configs of programs and exclude all username references. But the reason I had to do that was because it was mandatory, the script I was using deleted the old user/livecd user account and rolled an absolutely fresh one, so the only way to keep configs was to have an extensive and complete etc/skel. In practice it wasn't too hard to make one, just copy users home en masse and then delete a few things.

But after working with it, i'm liking your way better, and it makes for a smaller iso too. On this minimal iso it doesn't matter as i'm not adding any configs, no programs to speak of anyway. Next one on this platform I will be adding some programs though, and will be adding configuration of a bunch of things, so i'll have to revert to not excluding all the home/*.files.

The three files don't seem to be necessary unless something doesn't work, if they aren't there bash just passes on by and uses defaults, that on this system seem to be fine so far. But I left them in the new iso, left the debconf stuff too, I should probably roll a new debconf anyway as it should be smaller, I took about ~500 packages off the original install.

I am uploading a nice working copy of the iso now, this is beta 'cause Devuan's beta, but everything works near as I can tell. I made a "stable" and "experimental" section under devuan on my site, this will be the stable version. Maybe I should rename that section "seems-stable" lol.

Looking forward to new snapshot, it's really a lotta power in a little package, installer too, no telling what all you can do with it. ;)
http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/opensource
Devuan-mate-minimal hybrid-iso, made with Refractasnapshot.
greenjeans

Postby greenjeans » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:28 pm

http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/linux/devuan/stable/

388 mb. About as small as I can get it until I figure out what hosed pkexec in the earlier tests, but truthfully could only go down to about 380 at most anyway, so no biggie.
greenjeans

Postby greenjeans » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Make that sub 380 for the final version, 379.6 ! :twisted:

http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/linux/devuan/64/
greenjeans

Postby miyolinux » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi folks!

As some may be aware, I recently announced the end of MiyoLinux due to health reasons. I would like and appreciate any input about the following...

My condition is treatable, but it will be a long road. As I hope people understand, my free time needs to be devoted to hopefully improving my health and spending time with my family.

What I'm wondering is this...

If things go well (health-wise), I think producing MiyoLinux may still be possible; however, I won't have time to be active on the Dev1 Galaxy forum to offer support. I might be able to pop in from time-to-time, but it would probably be rare.

Do you think this is acceptable?

I was also given the suggestion of making a "how to build Miyolinux". I think that's a good idea, but I'm not sure if I could cover it thoroughly enough, because some of my steps are what I call "reactionary" and depend on previous actions. I'd probably have to build one just to remember (and write down) everything! LOL! Plus, I have modified several things that people would need the configs for.

Again...any feedback would be appreciated...even if you're brutally honest and tell me that I'm a jerk...the damage is done, and I should leave it alone. ;)
miyolinux

Postby FOSSuser » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:15 pm

miyolinux wrote:..... producing MiyoLinux may still be possible; however, I won't have time to be active on the Dev1 Galaxy forum to offer support. I might be able to pop in from time-to-time, but it would probably be rare.

Do you think this is acceptable?

I was also given the suggestion of making a "how to build Miyolinux". I think that's a good idea, but ...... I have modified several things that people would need the configs for.

Again...any feedback would be appreciated...even if you're brutally honest and tell me that I'm a jerk...the damage is done, and I should leave it alone. ;)

I've already joined Dev1 Galaxy, as well as being on here, so would be happy to answer any questions arising if I can, I don't think a developer necessarily has to be present as long as they can be contacted, if need be.

I'm sure it would be very helpful if you could do a write up of how you created MiyoLinux, including the configs as necessary.

Which ever way you choose to go, it was great finding a Devuan distro from a like minded person. ;)
FOSSuser

Postby miyolinux » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Thank you FOSS. I appreciate your input immensely.
miyolinux

Postby miyolinux » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:07 pm

The "How To" is finished and available on the Dev1 Galaxy forum. :)

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=388#p388
miyolinux

Postby AlexRey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:25 am

Anybody know of any rolling releases that refractasnapshot will work with?
AlexRey

Postby fsmithred » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Rolling or not should not make a difference. The latest versions of refractasnapshot should work with testing/unstable. Some adjustments might be necessary. Here's a thread about making a snapshot with newer kernels (before the fix mentioned in the last post.)
help-please-live-mount-error-refractasnapshot-t670.html

If you find a rolling release that doesn't work with refractasnapshot, then let us know. Before you let us know, run 'refractasnapshot -d' to get a full debug log to show me (/var/log/refractasnapshot_error.log). And if you find any that do work, you can let us know about that, too.
fsmithred

PreviousNext

Return to Experimental