Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Refracta installer and snapshot used on other distros

Stuff that has not yet gone into the official build.

Re: Refracta installer and snapshot used on other distros

Postby golinux » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:19 am

greenjeans wrote:Not been a good day, I got stung by a wasp on the butt, little sob crawled right down the back of my pants while I was bent over picking up a gas can. I would laugh but it still hurts.

I feel your pain! This summer I got a double whammy twice from a nest of hornets! Two on the jaw and two on the upper arm. A green clay poultice pulls out the toxins and stinger (hopefully).
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby greenjeans » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Feature request:

In Refractasnapshot.conf, there's a section for default text editors, I see the comment about the script automatically checking for geany, mousepad, leafpad etc. , Mate's text-editor pluma isn't listed, so I added it there where's there's a place for it ( I assumed it needed an absolute path, usr/bin/pluma, is this true or would simply "pluma" have worked?).

So was wondering if in a future version if pluma could be added to that default list mentioned?

Code: Select all
elif  [[ -e /usr/bin/pluma ]] ; then
      gui_editor="/usr/bin/pluma"
      editor_option=""   

Somewhere around line 167 or so, would the above code do it?
http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/opensource
Devuan-mate-minimal hybrid-iso, made with Refractasnapshot.
greenjeans

Postby fsmithred » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:18 pm

That looks right. The full path is needed (I think). Is there a command-line option in pluma to open a new instance? That's what the option is for.

Edit: OK, some months ago, someone asked me to add an editor to that list. In the beta uefi snapshot, I've got /usr/bin/xed added, and now I can't find any information about it. Anyone know if such an editor exists? Did I get the name wrong? I'm sure it wasn't xedit.
fsmithred

Postby greenjeans » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:59 pm

fsmithred wrote:That looks right. The full path is needed (I think). Is there a command-line option in pluma to open a new instance? That's what the option is for.

Edit: OK, some months ago, someone asked me to add an editor to that list. In the beta uefi snapshot, I've got /usr/bin/xed added, and now I can't find any information about it. Anyone know if such an editor exists? Did I get the name wrong? I'm sure it wasn't xedit.

https://github.com/linuxmint/xed

No command line option i see for pluma, the one run I did test it on, I put in the full path and left the editor-option line blank and it worked like a charm, popped up the files for me to edit in pluma.

So i'm gonna try just editing the script then with the added lines for pluma and go back and leave the .conf file in default config instead of specifying pluma, i'll test run it and report back if it errors out.
greenjeans

Postby fsmithred » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks. It'll be in the next release.
fsmithred

Postby greenjeans » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 pm

Okay, gonna have to put the two current projects on the backburner to stew for a while. Bunch of updates got pushed and I was already floundering, lol.

Re-starting with another clean netinstall and going to be more methodic, really want to find out what's screwing up pkexec, may just be something i'm excluding in the first snapshot run off a clean install. All the issues with synaptic lead me to believe I snapped a line of communication somewhere with some package. Culprit may be bleachbit and the settings I have used, it's possible apt autoremove took out something I actually needed, some small dependence that didn't show up for some reason.

Mate still has a lot of Gnome in it, even some 2.* stuff looks like, wondering about issues but can't get any feedback due to Devuan's forum being unused, so have to test it all myself.

May just run a couple of snapshot runs with new installed system without removing anything, just to get some iso's out there for people to hopefully try.

May need to run through exclude lists carefully to optimize for Mate.

Don't mind me, just talking out loud. :D
greenjeans

Postby golinux » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Try posting to the dng ML about your mate questions (and include a comment that you weren't getting any responses on the forum). You might even want to add you .02 to this thread.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby greenjeans » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:26 pm

golinux wrote:Try posting to the dng ML about your mate questions (and include a comment that you weren't getting any responses on the forum). You might even want to add you .02 to this thread.

Nah, seems they are dead-set on that approach, and that's okay, everything i've read says that they are okay with folks setting up their own forums and distros. I'd start a Devuan forum, but if there's never any developer presence then it lessens the effectiveness quite a bit, as any bug fixes and patches and problems are just going to stay in user-space there, and not get migrated upstream.

Might be handy to keep a running tally of stuff that needs fixing, and user-supplied workarounds.

It's the price we pay for fooling with beta software, lol. Hopefully they'll get a perfectly stable version done soon, I see they are still finding systemd stuff and trying to replace it, so I have to cut them a lot of slack in the meantime and expect issues.

I may have to use Debian in the meantime for my minimalist projects. And i'm having fun with the Refracta-stuff, I plan on trying some whacky stuff in the near future. ;) fsmithred is gonna get tired of me badgering him with feature requests. :lol:
greenjeans

Postby greenjeans » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Okay, new stuff for refractasnapshot and installer:

New clean install of devuan, minus first round cut of Libre and it's mountainous bloated buggy self. Did not remove any of the packages now labeled as autoremovable yet, I did remove through synaptic the not-installed-residual-config packages, but nothing in the autoremovable list. I did bleachbit the .mo translations, and manually deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ files. Slowly doing another run at a smaller system but documenting and testing more this time. I kept lists of removed packages etc. Added Refracta stuff and dependencies including the new sysvinit-core package.

The synaptic issue I posted about in another thread, is an issue with synaptic or devuan, has it from the start on a new install, so it isn't anything I did.

Using Installer version 9.1.9, using snapshot 9.3.4+10.0.0beta03, and the new live-config-refracta 0.0.3

Added lines discussed in my other post into Refractasnapshot-gui , adding pluma to default list of editors, worked great, no issues!

Did a snapshot run, using xz with -Xbcj x86, snapshot.conf at defaults except for uncommenting line that excludes all of /var/log/*

So far most everything works swimmingly in the resulting installed system, no issues with pkexec or other permissions, round two I will autoremove the rest of Libre dependencies that synaptic thinks aren't needed anywhere else. :roll:

Noticed for first time, that changes made while running the livecd, persist to the installed system, didn't ever even think about that before, I just assumed that it was copying the unmodified system on the CD. Kinda cool, opens up all kinds of questions and possibilities. But I wonder since that's the case, assuming for the moment you want a fresh clean install without excess files generated during the live environment, if the installer-exclude file doesn't need to be expanded to cover that? More on that subject here in a sec, but let me get to a couple simple things first.

The snapshot run didn't exclude a couple of things but it tried to:

- /var/cache/debconf/*~old 
did not exclude the old debconf files, there's only a couple but one is around 3.7 mb in size. Reason seems the actual files have a dash instead of the wavy thingy ( i.e. "templates.dat-old" ), don't know if the wavy thingy is used on other filesystems or representing a variable? Anyhoo, I tried this:
- /var/cache/debconf/*.dat-old 
and that worked perfectly, I applied it while the livecd was running to the installer.excludes list instead of snapshot.excludes list as it was too late to go back and change the snapshot itself. But seems like it would work the same using it from the get-go in the snapshot excludes. Wondering I could have just done:
- /var/cache/debconf/*old
??

The other one is similar,
- /var/lib/dpkg/*~old
, the files on my system use a dash here again, and these have no dot or suffix, "diversions-old" etc., haven't tested a fix for this one yet, would this work :
- /var/lib/dpkg/*-old
?

I also tried a couple of extra runs with some changes to installer.excludes list, to absolutely get rid of persisting user and root configs and anything generated in the home files during live-session. I ran the installer with these extra lines in installer.excludes list :
- /root/.config/*
- /root/.dbus/session-bus/*
- /home/*/.[a-z,A-Z,0-9]*
- /home/*/[a-z,A-Z,0-9]*

This wiped out everything in the /home/(user)/ folder, I inspected the installed system before I logged out of the live session, there was nothing in /home/(user)/ but the installer error log, no default folders or hidden files.

The system, at least with Mate, autogenerates on first boot/login ,new default folders in home, "Documents, Downloads" etc. It also generated new .config folders and sub-folders, .gvfs, .gconf, .cache etc. Also new .Iceauthority, .xauthority, .xsession-errors. It generated new /.dbus/session-bus files in both root and user's home with the new correct machine ID.

It emulated adduser in every respect except for adding the etc/skel files, there's only 3 hidden files in that folder on this system, .bashrc , .profile, and .bash_logout, but if I recall correctly they really need to be added to users home. If that can be accomplished automatically then the result is a perfect clean new user account :) .

Maybe something late in the script that copies the contents of etc/skel to home at the same time it's copying the installer-errors log there?

I don't know yet if you can exclude all of home like that in snapshot.excludes, wonder if the livecd environment will autogenerate the user stuff too?

I also don't know if other DE's and systems will autospawn all that stuff on first boot like this one will, might not work for some. But I would think that every system would have some way of generating new user home data wouldn't it?

The error log complained :
sed: can't read /target/home/****/.su-to-rootrc: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /target/home/****/.*/share/config/*desurc: No such file or directory

But that's KDE stuff, not needed here at least, looks like used if sudo is default. Maybe KDE re-spawns that on first boot if no folders or files are in home? Or it could be even added to etc/skel just in case?

It also said:
grep: /target/home/****/.config: No such file or directory
grep: /target/home/****/.local: No such file or directory

And that's from these lines I think? :
# do username
if [ -z "$newname" ]; then
newname=$oldname
fi

if [ "$oldname" != "$newname" ]; then

chroot /target usermod -l $newname $oldname ; check_exit
   chroot /target groupmod -n $newname $oldname ; check_exit
   chroot /target usermod -d /home/$newname -m $newname ; check_exit

for i in $(grep -r "/home/$oldname" /target/home/$newname/.config | awk -F":" '{ print $1 }'); do
   sed -i "s/\/home\/$oldname/\/home\/$newname/g" "$i"
   done

for i in $(grep -r "/home/$oldname" /target/home/$newname/.local | awk -F":" '{ print $1 }'); do
   sed -i "s/\/home\/$oldname/\/home\/$newname/g" "$i"
   done
fi

But there was no .local or .config folders to be had since they were excluded, but nevertheless home is correctly named and functional, and the re-spawned folders are as they should be and owned by the user. This part is a little confusing for me.
greenjeans

Postby fsmithred » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:58 pm

Wow. A lot there. Want to say real quick that live-config-refracta-0.0.3 has been replaced by 0.0.4. Only change was to chmod +x 0161-sysvinit-core. (oops!)

Replace tilde with hyphen for the debconf old stuff.

Wiping out your home configs is a known way to test if your configs are screwed up. They regenerate on login. For a live system, if you want to start with a clean home, you could get rid of the user althogether, and add the word, components, to the boot command. Or live-config.components if you prefer the long form.

We break from the default behavior of live-config by having a pre-configured user. Standard debian-live isos don't have one. It gets created by the live config scripts.

I think live-config makes a ~/.kde folder with some files in it. There's a lone comment about that in either snapshot or installer. I've never bothered to do anything about it.
Last edited by fsmithred on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fsmithred

PreviousNext

Return to Experimental