Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Refracta installer and snapshot used on other distros

Stuff that has not yet gone into the official build.

Re: Refracta installer and snapshot used on other distros

Postby fsmithred » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:17 pm

The stuff in .config and .local I think is all freedesktop.org stuff. If you want a new user account to get the usual subdirectories, like MUSIC, TEMPLATES, VIDEO or whatever, uncomment lines (or add your own) in etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults.

Errors about missing files in the section that's changing the user name should be ok. Different desktops have their own files.
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:59 pm

This starts at line 1092
Code: Select all
# copy everything over except the things listed in the exclude list
rsync -av / /target/ --filter='P lost+found' --filter='H lost+found' --exclude-from="$rsync_excludes" ${sep_home_opt} ${sep_boot_opt} --delete-before --delete-excluded | \
tee >(yad --progress --pulsate --width=350 --auto-close --title=$"Copying system to new partition.")

# copy separate /home if needed
if ! [[ -z $home_dev ]] ; then
    rsync -av /home/ /target_home/ --filter='P lost+found' --filter='H lost+found' --exclude-from="$home_boot_excludes" | \
tee >(yad --progress --pulsate --width=350 --auto-close --title=$"Copying home folders to new partition.")
fi

Don't just copy/paste this - it may cause errors. Add the username, add the rsync lines, fix the etc paths.
username=$(awk -F: '/1000:1000/ { print $1 }' ***etc/passwd)
rsync -av / /target/ --filter='P lost+found' --filter='H lost+found' --exclude-from="$rsync_excludes" ${sep_home_opt} ${sep_boot_opt} --delete-before --delete-excluded | \
tee >(yad --progress --pulsate --width=350 --auto-close --title=$"Copying system to new partition.")
rsync -av ***etc/skel/ /target/home/"$username

# copy separate /home if needed
if ! [[ -z $home_dev ]] ; then
    rsync -av /home/ /target_home/ --filter='P lost+found' --filter='H lost+found' --exclude-from="$home_boot_excludes" | \
tee >(yad --progress --pulsate --width=350 --auto-close --title=$"Copying home folders to new partition.")
    rsync -av ***etc/skel/ /target_home/
fi
fsmithred

Postby greenjeans » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:17 pm

I got all in the above post except for where you said "...add the username...."

Where and what username? I get that I need to add the extra rsync lines and fix etc path because of this weird forum bug (got me too yesterday), but unsure of where and how you mean add username.
http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/opensource
Devuan-mate-minimal hybrid-iso, made with Refractasnapshot.
greenjeans

Postby fsmithred » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:36 pm

I meant add the username= line almost as shown. Replace *** with /
username=$(awk -F: '/1000:1000/ { print $1 }' ***etc/passwd)
It will use your primary user's name. (whoever has uid:gid 1000:1000)
fsmithred

Postby greenjeans » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:09 pm

Got it, thanks! Will try that on next run. So far looking good, not gonna be as small but will all work. Autoremove hosed me last go-round.

One more thing I noticed : in /var/cache/debconf another couple of dat's get generated upon booting up the livecd, so even though snapshot-excludes takes 'em out, the livecd produces new ones. Adding the exclude lines in installer-excludes list takes care of it on install.

- /var/cache/debconf/*-old
greenjeans

Postby greenjeans » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:37 pm

'nother exclude to deal with possibly:

My iso's are retaining wicd wireless info, The script IS clearing out the files in /var/lib/wicd/configurations/* , but I believe the culprit that's still retaining it is etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf

That file contains recent wireless connection info and passwords, I wonder if it can just be excluded and the system autogens a new one on boot? If not I don't know how it could be re-written by the script....maybe just swap some sort of default? Or if all else fails substitute a fresh one in before running snapshot?
greenjeans

Postby fsmithred » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:15 pm

This should go in the section that starts with the following. Line numbers may vary depending on version you're using.

# Clear configs from etc/network/interfaces, wicd, NetworkManager and
# simple-netaid/netman so they aren't stealthily included in the snapshot.

Add this to the other lines that look similar. (Remove the stars.)
rm -f "$work_dir"/myfs** /** etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf
fsmithred

Postby figlfdev » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:56 am

if this is going to become a feature, can it be one thats in the config file? id like to retain wireless logins that i made during installation, i bet a lot of other people would too.

no preference on the default.
figlfdev

Postby fsmithred » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:12 am

It already is a feature. Scroll down to #netconfig_opt="ip=frommedia" near the bottom of the config file. Be aware that it's an odd feature. If you leave the configs in place, they'll only work on the iso if you add ip=frommedia to the boot command. Without that, they don't show up when you boot, but they're still in the iso. (Don't distribute your wireless passwords by mistake.)
fsmithred

Postby greenjeans » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:45 pm

^^^ Speaking of which, ran a test iso this morning, and that little line worked perfectly, the system generates a new empty wireless-settings.conf on the iso and then to install. Clicked on wireless to connect first time and no issues, and it filled the wireless-settings.conf out with the new info, so that's GTG.

I do need to remember to include something that lists these changes that i've made to all the .conf files. excludes, and the script that points out it's a custom config, and points the enduser to the defaults so they can change 'em if they like.

On to other stuff:

I tried adding the lines you gave me to the script to write etc/skel to the home folder, it added them, but login on fresh install failed for the user, slim sat for a minute then gave me "failed login command". It would however let me log in to the root account just fine. I noticed when I ran the installer that it generated some extra lines right at the point where the installer pauses to install grub. There's some lines about 1,19xxxx bytes sent, xxxxxbytes received etc that are normally there and then a space, then the lines about adding swap to fstab. Well this time it added this to the space between them:
./
.bashrc
.bash_logout
.profile

And I haven't seen it do that before. So I pulled the lines back out of the script. Not a big deal but would be cool to be able to do an etc/skel newuser setup, that would prevent changes made during the livecd from persisting.

From what i've seen so far, not having those 3 files in home isn't preventing anything from happening, are they really necessary? Can't remember what .bashrc or the others are supposed to do.

/var/cache/debconf/ dat files, experimenting with that now, new ones are generated by livecd, and generated again near as I can tell on first boot of install, much smaller ones. If you exclude all of var/log/debconf/ with excludes for snapshot, the livecd will have new ones, very much smaller ones and the password.dat file is completely empty. Excluding them again on install leaves you with none at all until you open synaptic the first time, then you get all three but all are completely empty, after reloading and installing a program you get again small template and config files with password.dat still empty.

I forgot to add crypt-setup to the build partition, it's needed to enable the encryption options in installer, yes?

And last bit of my daily novel for fsmithred, lol, RE: efi

So if I want to build a 64 bit version with efi enabled, I know I need grub-efi and some other crap, but when I build it do I need to be on system that uses a GPT partition table? And a FAT boot partition? I looked at installing grub-efi and it wants to remove grub 2 to do it so.....
greenjeans

PreviousNext

Return to Experimental