Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

refracta tools on other distros OR refracta customizing

Ask your questions here.

refracta tools on other distros OR refracta customizing

Postby stephanie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:15 am

Hi all,

I've right yesterday installed Refracta 8 on a VM, then tried to use refracta-snapshot to create a snapshot and everything went OK.

Then I've tried to customize a bit my Refracta installation: for example I like - as DE - gnome fallback more than xfce but as far as I tried to install gnome I get lots of missing dependencies and adding debian jessie repositories (main contrib non-free) has been useless. So it's impossible to customize (at least for me and now) since if I try to install, let's say, some package requiring kde stuff (or gnome stuff, or whateverYouWant stuff) as dependency, simply it can't install it.

In the same time is't impossible to install refracta tools on Ubuntu and Mint (tried with both OSs, the one that gives a smaller amount of errors is Mint, saying that live-config, live-config-sysvinit, live-config-systemd, live-config-upstart are missing ... and then non installables).

So, I'm asking if someone can help me resolving one of my two problem sources: fully customizing refracta and/or installing refracta-tools on debian/ubuntu/mint.

Thanks,
Stephanie
stephanie

Re: refracta tools on other distros OR refracta customizing

Postby fsmithred » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Refracta8 is built on Devuan, so there's no gnome desktop. Do not use debian repositories with devuan. You will not be happy with the result. If you want gnome, you probably need to install debian. The refracta tools will work on debian.

To use the tools on ubuntu or mint, you need to get a missing package. (It's missing from the ubuntu repo.) See these discussions:

For mint 18:
linux-mint-18-t581.html

For mint 17:
mint-17-2-custom-image-t658.html
fsmithred

Postby stephanie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi fsmithred and thanks for your reply.

So, no further DE customization on Refracta! ;-) I'll keep xfce.

About installing refracta-tools, I've found the answer I was looking for here:

refracta-installer-and-snapshot-used-on-other-distros-t111-40.htmll#p4595

I've downloaded (from http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/sunsite ... acta/misc/ ) live-config-sysvinit_4.0~a1-1.deb and managed it as above post indicated.
Then installed managed live-config-sysvinit_4.0~a1-1.deb and (with apt) live-config
Finally I've been able to install refractasnapshot-base and refractasnapshot-gui on Ubuntu 14.04.

EDITED AT 3:45 PM CET

just a question more:
for being able installing snapshots on some PC's HDD I'd must install refracta2usb and refracta-installer, right?
Then, token the snapshot, I must use refracta2usb to create the usb key or can I use something else? I'm asking that because usually I add ISOs to a multiboot usb key in which I've installed grub2 and for every ISO I add, simply I update grub.cfg manually and, being sincere, it would be the easiest solution, for me.
Finally, once booted target PC from ISO, CD/DVD or usb, just launch refracta-installer ... am I correct?

I'll try both on Xenial and on Mint Serena and let you know.

Thanks,

Steph
stephanie

Postby fsmithred » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm

You don't need to use refracta2usb. If you have another way to add it to a multi-boot usb, you should be able to tell grub where to find the correct vmlinuz and initrd.img. And you don't need refracta2usb for refractainstaller to work.

It's also possible to image the usb directly by using dd. The iso images made by refractasnapshot are already isohybrid (unless you turned that off in the config file.)

Other desktops that should work on refracta would include Trinity (fork of kde3), lxde, lxqt, and just about any window manager, such as openbox, jwm or icewm.
fsmithred

Postby vsido » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:08 am

fluxbox... grandaddy of em all.. :D
vsido

Return to Help