Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Refractasnapshot and Mint Installer? (TOPIC DROPPED)

Ask your questions here.

Re: Refractasnapshot and Mint Installer?

Postby burntnoodle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:38 am

No sir, it's not uefi. This particular build is 32bit. I also changed the refractasnapshot.conf file to
Code: Select all
make_efi="no"

Thank you for looking it over.

I'm going crazy trying to find the problem(s). I'm not giving up yet, but I think it surely would be easier to just use the Refracta Installer. ;)
burntnoodle

Postby burntnoodle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:02 am

fsmithred wrote:Is the mint installer a shell script? If so, you could try removing the '--force' from the grub-install command. Maybe the '/bin/sh -c' needs to go, too. We removed that from refractainstaller, but I don't remember the reason.

Hi all,

I don't know enough about "scripts" to say if it's a shell script or not. Sorry. I did see something in the file that referred to schell. A possible misspelling?

Just a quick update. I started from the ground up again. Made a really stripped down and bare-bones LXDE system this time just to save time. Plus, it's just for testing all of this out. I've built 4 snapshots this evening and tested each one.

Ran a snapshot before editing the file, and ended up with the same situation as before. Same failure message about the bootloader and no username/password copy over. Still, like before, it installed fine.

I'm not sure if I was in the right configuration file or not. I then edited /usr/lib/live-installer/installer.py

Stupid me didn't make a copy of it before I edited it. :evil:

I found --force in a line having to do with grub, and removed it. Saved the file. Ran a snapshot, burned it to a USB, and tried to install it on a partition.

It stayed hung up when the installer first started trying to format the partition, and it never went any further.

Went back, put --allow where (I thought) --force was. To save time, I'll keep this short. It did the exact same thing when I tried to install it.

Went back, put --force back. Removed "/bin/sh -c" from two lines. Same thing happened when I tried to install it.

Like I said, I don't even know if that was the correct file to edit. I'm just experimenting anyway. HOWEVER, I'm going to take a day or two away from this. After this evening's turmoil, I've had enough for now... :lol:
burntnoodle

Postby fsmithred » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:40 pm

You can edit files on the fly (while running from live media) so you don't have to edit and create a new snapshot for every change you want to test.

I don't know if you were editing the right file. That one is a python script - do not change the indentation on any lines. I booted a linuxmint-18 iso and looked around. The default installer is ubiquity, but there is the debian-installer in the repo. I don't know much about the debian installer. If you really want to hack on it, get the source package. The only "allow" option I see in 'man grub-install' is --allow-floppy. And --force is also in the man page, so I don't understand why you get that error.

So, I think I agree with your earlier conclusion - it would be a lot easier to just use refractainstaller.
fsmithred

Postby burntnoodle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:02 pm

fsmithred wrote:You can edit files on the fly (while running from live media) so you don't have to edit and create a new snapshot for every change you want to test.

I never thought of that, but it makes sense. Thank you.

Yes, I can't say for sure since I've never tried Mint or the Mint Debian Edition, but apparently the installer is different for the two.
burntnoodle

Postby burntnoodle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm still going to try and figure out the Mint Installer, but I do have one question if that doesn't work out.

The Refracta Installer GUI installs xterm and uxterm as dependencies.

Before I go demolishing more scripts :D, is it possible to remove xterm and uxterm after they're installed and make the Refracta installer use LXTerminal?
burntnoodle

Postby fsmithred » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:05 pm

To remove the dependency on xterm, you would need to unpack the .deb file, edit the control file to remove xterm from the Depends line, and then repack the deb. But you don't have to do that to get the script to use lxterminal. Just replace every instance of xterm (that's not commented out) with the appropriate lxterminal command in /usr/bin/refractainstaller-yad. You can leave out the -fa, -fs and -geometry options. Those are for font and window size. Replace the -e with whatever lxterminal option runs a command that comes after it. (It might be -e, -c or -x)

The very first terminal that comes up to ask for your password is in /usr/bin/refractainstaller-wrapper, and I guess it's good that I just looked in there, because there are still references to zenity, which is no longer supported in refractainstaller.

Note: You might lose some geek credits by not using xterm, but I guess you get them back by hacking the script.
fsmithred

Postby burntnoodle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Good grief! I just tried the latest Refracta installer...it flew through the installation...less than 10 minutes from start to finish! Amazing! Eveything worked too! New name and passwords carried over! Installed system is perfect!

I had to change very little in a couple of the scripts, and it was perfect!

I don't know if I even want to bother with the Mint installer any longer.

At this point, I'm tempted to just "NoDisplay=true" the additional terminals. Ha ha!
burntnoodle

Postby burntnoodle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Is it possible to safely remove the "simple install" option in the Refracta Installer?
burntnoodle

Postby fsmithred » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:56 pm

LOL! You sound surprised that it's fast. It's always been fast. And it's been in use for around six years, so it's had some testing.

Yeah, it's possible to remove simple install. Take a look at refractainstaller-uefi. I did it there with the least amount of editing. (Plus, I really wanted that little mind fsck of having two Expert buttons for the uefi install. It's appropriate.)

There's a better way, but I don't have time to look at it right now. You can remove that button from the yad window, remove the test for that button, and that should be enough. And you could change the label on the Expert install button to just Install (or maybe remove that window altogether and hard-code expert install. I forget what else is in that window.) Anywhere else that simple install is mentioned shouldn't matter, since it won't be possible to choose it.
fsmithred

Postby burntnoodle » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 pm

The .iso was only +/- 425 MBs. I went back and added the few packages that I wanted on the system, and that increased the size to about 600 MBs. It still took less than 10 minutes from when I clicked on the installer and got to "time to reboot". Good grief! Other distros should use your installer!

Thanks for the information on removing the Simple Install. I'll see how that goes next.
burntnoodle

PreviousNext

Return to Help