Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

refractasnapshot with uefi support

Refracta Development, Scripts, etc.

Re: refractasnapshot with uefi support

Postby geaplanet » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:04 am

Hi, then, what would be the steps to create a bootable ISO uefi? O_O?
geaplanet

Postby fsmithred » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Run refractsnapshot or refractasnapshot-gui, and when it gets to the screen that gives you four choices (or five, if you count Exit), select 'Create snapshot'. The system that's being snapshotted needs to have grub-efi-amd64 installed.

Optionally, you can edit the config file or the rsync excludes file to customize the run.
fsmithred

Postby geaplanet » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks a lot.

One more cuestion (perhaps not in the correct thread) : why is it necessary copy all system with rsync? Is it not possible to create the squashfs file directly from / (excluding /var /sys /proc /run /dev...)?
My system has 8Gb and I need a loooot of time and space everytime I want to create an ISO.
geaplanet

Postby fsmithred » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:42 pm

8gb of hard drive space? Then probably you have no usb, either, is that right? If you do have usb, you could mount a thumb drive and set the work and snapshot directories to the usb drive.

I believe it's possible to squash directly without using rsync, but I haven't done it. I tried it once, but I don't remember why it failed. How well do you know mksquashfs?
fsmithred

Postby scythargon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Hello! I've made a bootable iso image from my 32 bit debian jessie with refracta, can boot it in virtual box, but only with EFI switched off, and can not boot it from a flash drive on my laptop.

I guess it is because refractasnapshot scripts support only 64 bit EFI, right?
tried to install grub-pc-i32 (or something like this) package instead of grub-pc-x64, changed scripts (mostly mkefi function, as I thought, accordingly), but still no luck.

Any ideas please?
scythargon

Postby fsmithred » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:27 am

No, there's no support for 32-bit uefi. I'm curious - what hardware is 32-bit and uses uefi? Or do you just want your live system to be able to boot on uefi hardware? There is a way to do that...

With refracta2usb, you can make a live usb with the 64-bit refracta iso and then add your 32-bit debian iso as a second OS on a multiboot usb. You will then be able to boot your 32-bit system on uefi. You'll also be able to install it to the hard drive, but you won't be able to install a uefi-bootloader. You'll need another linux installed to run the boot. (Or maybe mess with the windows menu to boot linux - I don't know much about that.)
fsmithred

Postby scythargon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi! Thanks for your response!
By refracta iso you mean unofficial_live_devuan_beta_amd64_snapshot-20161205_2229.iso (833.6 MB)?
In refracta2usb menu I can't see anything like "create multiboot iso"... Image
Or I really should first install refracta iso on my flash... oh wait. What do I do if I have my 32bit all-prepared system only in virtual box (and now also on non-uefi iso size with size of 2.9 Gb) and want to add is as an option to some multiboot iso?
Boot with refracta iso in virtual box? That is not possible since refracta iso is 64 bit:(
scythargon

Postby fsmithred » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 pm

The way refracta2usb puts the iso on the usb stick allows you to put additional isos on it. Multiboot is the only choice, even if you only put one system on it. (I hope that's not too confusing.)

The unofficial devuan live iso will not work for this. It's not uefi capable.
You need this one first -
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... o/download

You can use the ISO_1 task to create the live-usb. But first, look at the first item in that list and read the Help. There's a Quick Start section that will get you up and running quickly.

After you put the 64-bit version on the usb, use the ISO_1 option again to add the 32-bit version you want. (Note: I think you will need to Rescan before you can add the second one.)

You don't need to boot the 64-bit. You're only putting that one on the usb because it will provide the uefi boot files. When you add the second iso, an entry for it will be added to the boot menu.
fsmithred

Postby AlexRey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 am

@fsmithred »

Can refractasnapshot be converted too work with dmsquash-live with dracut as i'm really enjoying Solus?
AlexRey

Postby fsmithred » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 pm

I don't think so. There's no dmsquash package, and dracut conflicts with some necessary packages:
Code: Select all
$ aptitude -s install dracut
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  dracut{b} kpartx{a}
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  dmraid
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
Need to get 280 kB of archives. After unpacking 1,152 kB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
dracut : Conflicts: initramfs-tools but 0.120+deb8u2 is installed.
initramfs-tools : Conflicts: linux-initramfs-tool which is a virtual package.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
1)     initramfs-tools             
2)     live-boot                   
3)     live-boot-initramfs-tools   
4)     refractasnapshot-base       
5)     refractasnapshot-gui       

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     dracut [Not Installed]
fsmithred