Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Slackware

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

Slackware

Postby nadir » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:47 pm

i for one am done with slackware. The reasons:
i don't like the approach to install everything and the kitchen sink.
too few packages
using Slackbuild is still a pain

Running upgrade-all gave me a non-booting system. For now i installed refracta, to have quick acess to virtualbox. Gentoo/Funtoo or Salix might be an option ( GenFuntoo being way more comfortable than Slackware, disadvantage to compile each program and each upgrade).

Not that it would matter much, just saying
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Re: Slackware

Postby figlfdev » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:40 pm

i think its such a cool idea, and its been around forever.

in all that time, ive never gotten around to it. im reluctant to bother with distros that dont have a deblobbed kernel, im not into source-based distros yet, but i seem fairly content to have slack be something i hear about. i do hear a lot of good things-- not today i guess.
figlfdev

Postby nadir » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:07 pm

I am pretty sure it is a really good distro.
Only saying it ain't the right distro for me.
Sure worth a shot.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby nadir » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:00 am

I will give funtoo a try these days. I maiinly looked into Slackware to avoid the kernel-compiling when using gentoo. That didn't work well :-) (even more work than gentoo.
Had a quick glance over the installation guide, looks straight forward (pretty much like a usual chroot).
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby FOSSuser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:04 pm

If you want to run Slackware, Salix is, or was, a good choice, but I've not run Slack in years.
AntiX is a good choice, for a Debian based OS.
I've been a loyal Debian, or Debian based, user for many years, but now I'm looking to Devuan to be my base distro.
FOSSuser

Return to General Nonsense