Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Strange Questions

Ask your questions here.

Re: Strange Questions

Postby burntnoodle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I used the devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta2_i386_NETINST.iso

Downloaded from https://files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_beta/

The sha256sum matched, so I just figured it could have possibly been my computer, or it may have been a "beta issue".
burntnoodle

Postby fsmithred » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks. I was aware of the ext4 problem on a more recent build of the devuan i386 installer, but I didn't know the beta2 had the same problem. That might be helpful information. I'll pass it along.
fsmithred

Postby burntnoodle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Oh. My pleasure. I wasn't complaining, but at the same time, I'm glad that it might possibly help.

One last "strange question". I apologize; my knowledge is limited.

When I run an update via the terminal, it goes through the update process, and at the end it spits out a bunch of lines regarding "ignoring US Translations". If I counted correctly, there are 18 of them (I have contrib and non-free enabled). Here's just one of them.

Code: Select all
Ign http://auto.mirror.devuan.org jessie/contrib Translation-en_US

It really isn't a problem that those 18 "ignores" are there, but does anyone know if there is a way to stop them, ignore them, or disable them? If not, that's perfectly fine. I just thought that I would ask.
burntnoodle

Postby burntnoodle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 pm

fsmithred,

I noticed that the older installer has ext2 highlighted by default; whereas, the latest one had ext4 highlighted by default. Since I'm using the older installer, can that easily be changed to have ext4 as the highlighted default?

I've looked at the refractainstaller.yad file, but nothing is jumping out at me as to what to change. If it's easy to change; such as, I would just need to rename which is first and last in the list, then can you possibly give me a clue as to where to look? However, if it involves changing multiple lines of code in multiple files, I'll leave well-enough alone. ;)
burntnoodle

Postby burntnoodle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 pm

burntnoodle wrote:fsmithred,

I noticed that the older installer has ext2 highlighted by default; whereas, the latest one had ext4 highlighted by default. Since I'm using the older installer, can that easily be changed to have ext4 as the highlighted default?

I've looked at the refractainstaller.yad file, but nothing is jumping out at me as to what to change. If it's easy to change; such as, I would just need to rename which is first and last in the list, then can you possibly give me a clue as to where to look? However, if it involves changing multiple lines of code in multiple files, I'll leave well-enough alone. ;)

Nevermind. I discovered what I missed earlier. In the refractainstaller.yad file, there are three times that those options are given. I had only changed the first instance of it; in which, I renamed the first option as ext4 and the last option as ext2. After that, I neglected to look further down the file; I thought I had done all that was needed. When that didn't work (for how I choose to install during installation), I looked further down the file and found the other two instances. I changed (renamed) the order of all three, and that worked perfectly during installation as far as I can tell. :)

I just hope that was all that was needed. The install that I did with those changes appears to be working perfectly.

Thank you.
burntnoodle

Postby thwak » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 am

It really isn't a problem that those 18 "ignores" are there, but...
a way to stop them, ignore them, or disable them?
it's problematic in the sense that it wastes bandwidth and delays every apt update operation

Yes, you can adjust your system's apt policy to prevent translation file downloads.
To do so, edit /etc/apt/apt.conf and insert a line stating
Acquire { Languages "none"; };
thwak

Postby burntnoodle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 am

thwak wrote:
It really isn't a problem that those 18 "ignores" are there, but...
a way to stop them, ignore them, or disable them?
it's problematic in the sense that it wastes bandwidth and delays every apt update operation

Yes, you can adjust your system's apt policy to prevent translation file downloads.
To do so, edit /etc/apt/apt.conf and insert a line stating
Acquire { Languages "none"; };

THANK YOU!

Here are my details.

I didn't have an apt.conf file, so I created one and added that line. So, all that is in that file is that one line. After creating and saving the file, I ran an update. None of the language files appeared! YES!

Then, I went back into the apt.conf file and commented the line out. I then ran an update, and ALL of the "ignored language files" appeared again.

Removed the # from the line in apt.conf, ran another update, and they were no longer appearing.

THANK YOU! Now, my only question remaining is...

Is the fact that my apt.conf file only contains that one line a potential problem in the future?

Again...thank you thwak!
burntnoodle

Postby fsmithred » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 am

Not a problem. The apt configuration files can have a single line or multiple lines, if you want other special stuff. See 'man apt.conf' for more.
fsmithred

Postby burntnoodle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 am

fsmithred wrote:Not a problem. The apt configuration files can have a single line or multiple lines, if you want other special stuff. See 'man apt.conf' for more.

Great. Thank you.

burntnoodle wrote:
burntnoodle wrote:For some reason, the latest Refracta Installer (?) didn't offer the pop up windows to set the location, time zone, and keyboard layout even though they did show on the installation from the Debian .iso. I checked over everything and I had it set up the same. So unless I inadvertently missed something, I'm not sure what the problem was

I think I've figured out why this happened, but I could be wrong.

I've made a couple of more snapshots. Through trial and error, this is what I've discovered. When I made the snapshot that I was happy with, I copied several of the config files and saved them to a USB to easily transfer them over to other snapshots if needed.

It "appears" that if I replace the config files (refractainstaller.yad and loc-timezn.sh) with the ones that I had saved...instead of modifying the ones that came installed when I installed the Refracta Tools...it doesn't work. The installer wouldn't even open past the first window where it asks for su or sudo.

Luckily, I had saved each file BEFORE replacing them. So, I put the original files back and modified them accordingly. After doing that, everything worked like a charm on the installer. The changes that I made to the Installer showed, and I was given the windows to set the country, time-zone, and keyboard layout.

I'm not saying that was the problem or solution, but that's what worked for me. ;)

Thanks for such great tools fsmithred! This has been a fun learning experience!
burntnoodle

Previous

Return to Help