Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Synaptic no open on laptop

Ask your questions here.

Synaptic no open on laptop

Postby zadek » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Peoples,

I just installed " Refracta 8.2" on my lap top. I click on the bottun of synaptic in the list of "System" it happens nothing,then I click on the bottun of Synaptic on the list of perferences,it happens nothing.

Please can you tel me why? and what should I doe to catch Synaptic?

Thanks,

zadek :shock:
zadek

Re: Synaptic no open on laptop

Postby burntnoodle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:50 pm

See if this works.

Open the terminal and enter

Code: Select all
gksu synaptic

or this

sudo synaptic
burntnoodle

Postby zadek » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks burntnoodle,
It works.I think I should every time use command line to open Synaptic,becouse It dosn't works frpme system list yet.
zadek

Postby golinux » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:21 pm

If you try to open from the system menu, you should get a dialogue asking for your authentication. If you're not getting that, something is broken besides not being able to open it.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby zadek » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:49 pm

No, I dont get any dialouge for my autentication. In fact happens notting. All other programs opens imiditly,but Synaptic.
zadek

Postby fsmithred » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Something weird is going on. I can open synaptic from the menu, get no popup for root password, and then install programs as unprivileged user. This is on a recent testinstall from a post-8.2 build. Only difference between this build and the 8.2 that was released is that locales-all was removed and locales were un-configured.
I can also run gparted as user, and I just deleted a partition. (on test machine, so it's ok.)
/sbin/blkid now works for user, too.
fsmithred

Postby zadek » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:40 pm

I remember me ,when I begon install,came a blaxk command line and asked for password, I typed " user" , then I shut down that and begon to install again,with password"root". This time goes every thing good: use "su"...simple install...run GParted...
But now I go try /sbin/blkid on black command line.
zadek

Postby fsmithred » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:05 pm

When you run the installer, the first window asks if you use su or sudo. Then a terminal will come up for the password. If you use sudo for everything, then you give your user's password, and if you use su, you give the root password. In Refracta, I think either way will work, since sudo is enabled during the live session. Both ways are there in case someone uses the tools on a system that only has one method available.

I'm getting the same behavior I mentioned in my previous post on another install that hasn't been upgraded since early November.
fsmithred

Postby zadek » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:24 am

Hi,when I open synaptic with black terminal(sudo synaptic),I see this:(synaptic:3539): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
Discarding: 14 over 15
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Discarding: 8 over 9
Discarding: 13 over 15
Discarding: 7 over 9
Discarding: 12 over 15
zadek

Postby fsmithred » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:32 pm

I don't know if any of that is useful. I get lots of gtk errors, and I almost always ignore them.

What is the output of this command?
grep Exec /usr/share/applications/synaptic.desktop

Never mind, I found the problem. There must have been an upgrade to synaptic, and it changed the .desktop file back to default settings.

Edit /usr/share/applications/synaptic.desktop and make sure the Exec line uses gksu. Mine looks like this:
#Exec=synaptic-pkexec
Exec=gksu synaptic

If you do not want to edit that file, you could download this file and add it to /usr/share/applications -
http://distro.ibiblio.org/refracta/misc ... su.desktop
and you will get an extra item in the System menu that says "Synaptic Package Manager (gksu)"

Either one of these methods may be undone if the synaptic package gets upgraded.
fsmithred

Next

Return to Help