Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Updated Refracta-8 isos

For general announcements.

Re: Updated Refracta-8 isos

Postby thwak » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:45 am

117MB extra here
That must be the amount the iso size increased ,right?
(size of "unpacked files-on-disk" is hella lot more & interferes with using to-ram boot option on a 2Gb RAM system)
thwak

Postby fsmithred » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:16 am

Actual sizes:
707788800 Feb 20 12:39 refracta8.2_xfce_i386-20170220_1507.iso
727711744 Feb 20 17:37 refracta8.2_xfce_amd64-20170220_2010.iso

8.3 is looking like it'll be about 10MB smaller. It'll be soon. I found some other stuff to fix - the mate system tools weren't working because of pkexec in the .destkop files.
fsmithred

Postby dzz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:04 am

117MB extra here

The extra space which would be used on (one of) my installations, after installing locales-all. Not considering a squashfs.
dzz

Postby stavreli » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello, I am using refracta8.2_xfce_amd64-20170220_2010.iso on vbox, and I am looking forward to install on a laptop.

some package requests;

mame gnome-video-arcade mame-extra mame-tools devhelp libgtk2.0-doc
stavreli

Postby fsmithred » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:08 pm

stavrell,
Thanks for your interest, but there are a couple of problems with that request. It looks like it requires about 250MB, and we're trying to squeeze the image back down below 700MB. Also, mame is not available in the main repo, and that's all that is enabled in the isos. If you want contrib and non-free, you need to add them in sources.list.

If you have sufficient RAM and a network connection, you can boot from live media, run 'apt-get update' and then install those packages before installing the system to the laptop. They wil thenl be included in the hard drive install, along with any other changes you make while running live. Personally, I would wait until rebooting into the newly installed system before adding anything unless absolutely necessary.
fsmithred

Postby stavreli » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:04 pm

fsmithred wrote:stavrell,
Thanks for your interest, but there are a couple of problems with that request. It looks like it requires about 250MB, and we're trying to squeeze the image back down below 700MB. Also, mame is not available in the main repo, and that's all that is enabled in the isos. If you want contrib and non-free, you need to add them in sources.list.

If you have sufficient RAM and a network connection, you can boot from live media, run 'apt-get update' and then install those packages before installing the system to the laptop. They wil thenl be included in the hard drive install, along with any other changes you make while running live. Personally, I would wait until rebooting into the newly installed system before adding anything unless absolutely necessary.

Sorry, I did not mean that :oops: (to be included in the iso).
It would be nice if the contrib and non-free repos are added by default.
Anyway, that is not very important.
Besides that, my only issue when I booted from a live usb was that I could not get wicd to work.
I installed the iwlwifi driver but it didn't work.
I am hoping that a solution similar to what http://antix.mepis.org did with wicd as it worked out the box.
Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to test the next iso ;)
stavreli

Postby fsmithred » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Some of the wireless drivers only work after a reboot, which is not going to help if you're running live without full persistence. To check to see if the module got loaded -
Code: Select all
lsmod |grep iwl
and if it's not there, you can load it with
modprobe -v iwlwifi

I know that driver works, because I've got a laptop using it. I'll test from a live usb and get back to you.

Too many people want only the main repo for me to change it. No problem in asking, though.

Edit: fixed grep search pattern
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Works here easily. You do have to install it, though.

Boot live media, open a terminal and become root or use sudo to run this command:
dpkg -i wireless_drivers/firmware-iwlwifi-(whatever the version is, hit TAB for it to complete)

Then open wicd. It should scan. If not, check if there is a physical switch on the laptop that turns the wireless on and off.

And forget about running 'lsmod |grep iwlwifi' because it's wrong. Just 'lsmod | grep iwl' should show you something.

Edit: I just read the antix page. Interesting way of doing that. You can create a live-usb with a persistent partition or a persistent loopback file (or multiples of them) so that files you save ot change will not revert to the original state on reboot. If you wanted different configurations for different uses or for use on different machines, you can have multiple persistent volumes, and just use the one you want when you boot.

Here's the readme for refracta2usb - http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/docs/re ... ta2usb.txt
fsmithred

Postby stavreli » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:30 pm

thank you :-)
That was a major pain, now there are minor issues but I think I will install refracta on my laptop.
Now I will try to convince a couple of people to release there apps as appimages besides snaps and flatpaks.
stavreli

Postby fsmithred » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:15 pm

One more time...

Updated isos - Refracta-8.3 - 4-5 Mar 2017

* Removed locales-all. Iso now fits on CD again.
  * Updated 1065-refracta-lang live-config script.
  * Fixed mate system tools desktop files to use gksu.
  * Moved default desktop configs from /etc/skel/.config to /etc/xdg/xfce4
  * Software updates to date including kernel patches.
  * Added Desktop symlink to wireless_drivers folder.
fsmithred

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements