Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Updated Refracta-8 isos

For general announcements.

Updated Refracta-8 isos

Postby fsmithred » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:14 am

New Refracta-8 isos are available. They have security updates through the file date, new versions of refracta tools, and a new feature - an accessibility theme available from the boot menu that provides a high contrast desktop theme with large fonts and icons.

Note: If you need the accessibility theme, you might not be able to read the boot screen. The accessibility theme is the second item in the boot menu.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... isohybrid/

fsmithred

Re: Updated Refracta-8 isos

Postby fsmithred » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Replaced the new isos with newer isos (refracta8.2). Removed localepurge and installed locales-all, so all languages should be available now.
fsmithred

Postby figlfdev » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:53 am

this one takes a lot longer to boot in qemu (5-10 minutes, vs under half that) than previous versions, i dont know why. im trying the unmodified version, but when i used to make fig os with puppy mode, it was the puppy bootup that took this long, and not refracta mode. (i figured if i got the two close enough together, that puppy mode would boot as fast as refracta.) this isnt a big deal imo, im simply making note of it-- in fact if you are running qemu with kvm, it shouldnt happen. it will likely be about as fast as running it directly then!

i also note your kernel is upgraded to 3.16.39-1, thats great. heres the sha256 for the 32-bit version (it matches the one on the download site, i thought it would be good to have it on the forum too.) 73425cb100428931752f06c26ce61633bf31b7f572e6e9ae8ba338e87689b6ad
figlfdev

Postby zadek » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:40 am

Hi fsmithred,
Thanks a lot for languages!

Zadek
zadek

Postby fsmithred » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Hey fig!

Yeah, this last one boots slowly. It hangs on live-config scripts, locales and refracta-lang. There may be a fix for this. If you happened to get the Feb18 isos that were only there for a day or two, they are the same but without all the extra locales. They boot at normal speed.
fsmithred

Postby figlfdev » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:34 pm

whatever fix will probably happen on your end, since i never mess with initrd, only filesystem.squashfs. perhaps the way i delete locales will change something, but i doubt it.

as funny as it sounds, ive been waiting literally a quarter of a year for this one :) so im really not complaining. ive been using fig os 2.4 all this time. 2.5 updates the url (but not the version of refracta) so 2.6 would be the earliest version to use refracta 8.2. keep up the great work.

by the way, freeforums lost their server for attachments-- theyve sent the drives off for data recovery. my forum lost most attachments, though except for one very nice python script from izi (and a screencap i probably have around somewhere) nothing that isnt available in a more recent version.

hopefully they will bring the server back anyway. cheers.
figlfdev

Postby dzz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Package: locales-all (2.19-18+deb8u7)

GNU C Library: Precompiled locale data

This package contains the precompiled locale data for all supported locales. A better alternative is to install the locales package and only select desired locales, but it can be useful on a low-memory machine because some locale files take a lot of memory to be compiled.

I suspect it hangs because of locales-all. You don't need it (unless you like bloat, 117MB extra here plus suspected live-boot delay) Alternatively (as used in live-config):

Code: Select all
man locale-gen

More on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=701
dzz

Postby fsmithred » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:24 am

I removed locales-all and de-configured all the locales. New iso is less than 700MB and language setting works on the console. Still playing with the lightdm fix and some other, unrelated things. I'm not going to upload the current build. Need to get the latest kernel update. Won't be long.
fsmithred

Postby figlfdev » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:38 pm

is the latest kernel update available?

i know how ridiculous that sounds. can you pretend its a reasonable question and answer it as if it were? more importantly, just announce the new version here (as if you wouldnt do that anyway.)
figlfdev

Postby fsmithred » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:43 am

Latest kernel update is avaiable in the devuan repos, but it's not in the 8.2 isos. There was an update a day or two after I made those isos. I'll probably update them again in a week or two. I don't like the slow boot or the oversized iso.
fsmithred

Next

Return to Announcements