Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

refracta-wheezy-beta3 - betaN bugs

Refracta Development, Scripts, etc.

Re: refracta-wheezy-beta3 bugs

Postby meandean » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:35 pm

The reason I prefer alsmixergui to xfce4-mixer is that the latter won't let me make the window small enough to leave it open and out of the way.

That is a bit quirky. But you can close it and reopen as needed. Yaaa really you can. :P

Okay maybe gamix, it is a bit weird but functional. That is what I have been using with my lxde creation since I dropped gnome-alsamixer. I think I grabbed gamix from squeeze though.

Oh, I'm going to need your help doing that one. If you have any thoughts on it, or if you can tell me which commands you would use to do that in a terminal, I'll dress it up pretty. (or at least make it functional) I assume your desire is to have something that will do the job and not gobble up a big chunk of memory the way wicd does. I'd be happy with that.

Yea wicd is piggy. I have the memory but I hate that doing nothing once connected takes up 15mb
Everytime I think about it I end up with a complex mess that tries to cover too many bases. May need a group brainstorm session for this idea... :shock:

Tell me what fonts you like, and I'll take a look.

Oh my fav is liberation for sharpness without jagged-ity edges. But I think I tried fonts-freefont and like those too. I dont recall if it was ttf or otf though and it may not of been that at all..

Hinting: Maybe it's my eyes, but Slight/None is easier to read than Medium/Full hinting

Probably depends on the monitor as well, not to mention the font matters too I bet. It probably is a personal thing but it is something everyone has me change too. They all have good size (large) flat panels though.
meandean

Postby nadir » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 pm

meandean wrote:
nadir wrote:For me it is an easy way to access a long command i typed half an hour ago.

I will have to play with it and see what it does and some of the other stuff in inputrc looks cool too :shock:

I usually up arrow a million times or use the history command with some grepping. I have never made myself learn the history command and options...sadly

The million times is what bugs me (and until i made the setting in inputrc that is how it is for me, often without a result at all).
Best example is a badass pipe you typed three days ago, now can't remember it for the life of you.

Strange enough nearly no distribution adds it per default.
There is nothing to learn about it. Uncomment, and when in need hit the page-up key. Dead easy, and doesn't hurt.

-
I am sure we talked about the mixer and fsmith had good reasons (i recall something with xsane ?). I don't care, but i like if all apps look, more or less, the same. All ugly is ok too. :-)

If killing wicd there are still processes left running. So after "kill wicd" one might want to run "ps ax | grep wicd". I barely use it anyway (i mainly use wired connections).

A srcipt to connect to a wireless router (network?) would be the bean of beans. But, well, seriously. I think wicd is a good solution.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby dzz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:34 pm

I never did actually check wicd resource usage nor notice bad bugs but don't advocate wicd (nor anything else with yet another cpu-eating background daemon)

Trouble is, what else to do the job. Manual configuration every time you boot a live system is tedious at best, for less experienced users worse than that... There needs to be something. Refracta shines as a live system, we all do what we want after install.

Alternatives I know are wpa-gui and ceni.

Wpa-gui has minimal qt4 deps, no daemon and is my preference for an installation. But first set up is difficult, no use for a live system.

Ceni is ideal for a live system, has few if any deps not already there, is lightweight and simple to use. However it's not in mainstrean Debian.

Any custom script would need to be reasonably user-friendly and would also be another ex-mainstream application.

Add to that the question of nonfree firmware... As a GPL supporter I don't want to see any nonfree in Refracta... but am also a realist who can't afford to pick and choose hardware.
dzz

Postby nadir » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:01 am

I think realistic would be: as little non-free as possible. I am not against all free, au contraire, but i am a lucky man when it comes to hardware. No kidding: being able to say: there is no non-free included per default sounds very cool, no?
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby fsmithred » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:41 pm

refracta-wheezy-beta5-20121226_1030.iso has been uploaded. You didn't miss beta4, if you're wondering about that. I never uploaded it, because it didn't have all the changes we discussed above. I think beta5 does. Or at least it has most of them. No major changes. Software is all upgraded to the time/date stamp on the filename.

I did make a couple of changes in the isolinux boot menu - there's now an entry for text-only boot (runlevel 3), and I set it to boot the default automatically after 20 seconds. That way, you can use a live-cd to boot your home headless server and then ssh in to do stuff.
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Here's a list of packages in beta5 that were not in beta3.
Code: Select all
+++ package_list_beta5
+build-essential
+dpkg-dev
+g++
+g++-4.7
+gpm
+libconfuse-common
+libconfuse0:i386
+libdpkg-perl
+libstdc++6-4.7-dev
+libwmf0.2-7:i386
+linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae
+live-hooks-refracta
+tilda

Also:
- anti-aliasing is set to medium hinting
- partially updated release notes
fsmithred

Postby meandean » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:44 pm

its the holidays
as soon as I wake up from my nap I will check it out
after the nap I need to eat and then nap some more before going to sleep and then eating but hopefully I can work it in there somewhere
meandean

Postby nadir » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:50 am

same here: X-mas vacation.
So i herd u liek mudkip?
nadir

Postby golinux » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Everyday is a vacation here. Waiting for stable before I tinker any more and get serious about my final setup.
golinux

Postby fsmithred » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45 pm

No problem, guys. The changes were minimal, and I'm not in a hurry. I'll probably have another beta or rc out within a few weeks. One thing I noticed is that the file associations are wrong on a few things. I want graphics to open with gthumb, not gimp, and I want audio files to open with deadbeef, not gnome-mplayer. I fixed some of them this morning, and when I think I'm done, I'll post the file types that I've taken care of, and you can tell me what I missed.

Enjoy the holidays.
fsmithred

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss