Welcome
Welcome to refracta

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What's New

If it's not on-topic, it's in here.

What's New

Postby mharrison » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:01 pm

Sooooo....been gone a long time....frankly haven't used computers once I get out of work. Been trying to enjoy nature...fishing, hiking, camping, bike riding, ect......I left active life before systemd but I know a little about the fun surrounding it. Have I missed anything else?
mharrison

Re: What's New

Postby golinux » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:01 am

Welcome back!! Refracta is now based on Devuan!
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby fsmithred » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:24 am

Hey, nice to see you again. We're listed on Distrowatch, too. That just happened about a week ago.

Other than the change to Devuan under the hood, Refracta is pretty much the same. The new release is out - i386 so far, and amd64 is close behind.
fsmithred

Postby mharrison » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Been trying to catch up....had to reinstall Salix on my laptop since it had Windows 10 on it from when I inherited it from my wife after she got a new one. So Debian forked (again) and Devuan was created to weed out any systemd packages is what I have gathered so far....When the amd64 Refracta comes out I'll have to give it a whirl. Winter is coming and I'll have more time to tinker now that I can't spend as much time outside.
mharrison

Postby figlfdev » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Devuan was created to weed out any systemd packages is what I have gathered so far...

theyre basically building a robot distro factory. more automation of builds, a repo that draws from debians unless its a package that devuan had to change, multiple arch support including x86, more than one arm, others possible. i think its a strong effort. im told antix is a good alternative, though ive used devuan nearly every day since march last year since developing a small beginners programming language in it..

refracta is one of the most fun and reliable (no-bs) live distros ive ever used, but i only know it from its devuan days. devuan has solid repos, but so far the live side (or 3rd party) projects have helped the one or two times devuan fell down. before refracta i used gnuinos which is fine software too.

i dont know how many remasters of refracta there are. i have one, and theres devuan mate minimal from mrgreenjeans though im still not sure if thats devuan + mate made with refracta tools, or refracta + mate (i think ts the former.)

devuan has many downstream distro offerings already, from refracta and gnuinos and exegnulinux, to others listed on the devuan website. while devuan insists its still beta (i guess rc1 is real soon now) refracta (which i think is i386 and x86-64 only?) has gone rc1 and release, and i use some form of refracta basically every day. the refracta tools are pretty delightful-- they seem like no-bs versions of installers with old-school simplicity and a new-school level of quality. i actually get excited using them-- i dont know why, theyre just installation/snapshot tools? something about them though-- suggestions welcome.
figlfdev

Postby fsmithred » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:55 am

amd64 iso is uploading now. I've labeled it rc1, because the uefi installer has only had limited testing. Other than that, I think it's ready. On bios hardware, it should be same as it ever was. Please let me know of any glaring errors ASAP.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... isohybrid/
fsmithred

Postby FOSSuser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:21 pm

@mharrison
If you haven't already, take a look at MiyoLinux, Devuan based mini distro, basically just wifi & a web browser (firefox), leaving you to install what you want - just the kind of distro I like. :)

Of course, Refracta is also a good distro ;) based on Devuan, which I now have installed & running on an old laptop - I note that it doesn't use OpenOffice, but uses just a WP (abiword) & SS (gnumeric). Old school. 8-)
FOSSuser

Return to General Nonsense